Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Back to basics

You know when you get into something new and just head off at high speed taking in a much info as you can as fast as you can and ending up doing a reasonable job but getting confused and annoyed at how good everyone else is......well thats me i can take pictures but then get a bit lost with stacking and photoshop etc...

I cant remember all the threds off the top of my head

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/136110-leo-triplet-work-progress.html

but i have seen really bad light pollution photographs closly followed by the clearest most perfect shots of DSO's you could ever hope to achieve :) all corrected with stacking and photoshop....:D

Its time to spill the beans guys and galls the noobies on the forum require, no demand :) you give us the secrets to fantastic photo enhancement, or at leat share a few secrets if possibel please thanks very much :)

Stacking : Is the whole point of stacking to take loads of photographs of something, same ISO, same exposure, same everything etc and then the final x20 stacked result looks better becouse you are combining the times together for a longer total expossure, do the best results require filters on different shots to enhance the colours RGB then combine ???....I only use light and dark frames what are the other all about ???

Photoshop : Is there a set of basic alterations/manifulations you can do to any image to make it look better, enhancing the image whilst darkening the background for example that kind of thing...

One other thing is i am going to root around my local book shops for a book that will help me locate DSO's in the night sky, my Ipad is ok but its just another thing that cna run out of battery whilst out and about on the hills so maybe a good book that gives star charts would be a good idea.

Ohh and one other thing does anyone use those portable power pack units to drive the scope motors when out and about, I was wondering if there was one that would not only drive the motor on the scope but maybe power the Acer One netbook with BackyardESO on it as well as the battery on the netbook really needs replacing or i only get about 20-30 minutes use....

Anyway thanks for listening its sunday morning i need a bacon sandwich and more coffee:icon_eek:

The information is here if you look hard enough. A 17Ah powerpack from Maplins plus an inverter may help - if you need more power then you need a "leisure battery".

Stacking increases your exposure, whilst giving you the option of discarding any bad frames (satellite passes, etc). Dark frames remove sensor noise, flat frames remove optical problems (dust, vignetting, etc) and bias frames remove electrical transfer noise. Aim to take >10 of each, preferably more. Bias frames can be reused, dark frames need to have the same settings as your light frames, but can be reused as long as the temperature remains the same (make up a library of them) and flat frames need to be retaken every time you adjust the camera on the scope.

The basics of processing involves levels and curves. After that it's a dark art involving multiple layers that I don't understand. I've treated myself to Noels actions, Annies actions and gradient xterminator.

Archived