NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade 8" SCT LX10 EMC Motor Problems

Hi

Not sure if anyone can help or offer any advice.

I recently purchased a second Meade 8" SCT LX10 EMC telescope its been fine for the past few weeks and uses a 9v battery to drive the motor.

Just now I was outside and it just died. I assumed it was the battery as it has been in it now for a couple of weeks.

No batteries in the house, rushed up to the shops, bought two batteries, came home installed one after the other - nothing. I then assumed it was the batteries as the last one was a Morrisons, poped down there bought a few more and rushed back - still nothing.

Not even a battery indicator.

I live in Plymouth does anyone have any advice or know of any repair shops near to me.

Hopefully thanks Keith

I am not fimiliar with your setup, but my thoughts would be to try a multi-metre to check power is getting to the mount.

Also I notice some cheap batterys are never good for high-power devices i.e i'v bought cheap AA's to power a small digi cam before and all I get is a quick flash of power then nothing...pop in some duracells and off she goes.

If still there's nothing obvious then perhaps some dew caused an issue?

Sorry that's all I can think of just now.

Best of luck hope you get it up and running again soon!

Michael

Hi,

Could be the fuse, fuses suffer with age, if it's like my old LX50 if you unscrew

the front panel there is a fuse located on the rear of the panel protecting the circuit,

check to see if its OK, only other advice is Telescope House they have a repair department for Meade scopes.

Michael/Steve

Thank you for your prompt replies and comments.

This morning I sort of did a bit of both as I emailed a few shops and they suggested the same.

To cut a long story short, just took the base cover off and the battery connector had come off, before that I did call Telescope House and they basically informed me there was nothing much in them - so I am very pleased, however I think I will look for a DC power supply.

Cheers Happy Keith in Plymouth

Archived