Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Counterweight for wedge mounted SCT

chouet

I'm looking at options for balancing my imaging setup. I have an 80mm Apo sat in ADM mini dovetail guidescope rings atop my CPC925.

Should I have a go at making a counterweight system, or would I be better off with an ADM counterweight set?

The motors are fairly tolerant, but how close should I get to matching the weight of the guidescope? If I made my own, should I have at least two weights distributed along the length of the SCT to more closely replicate the load on top?

Any views and advice appreciated!

I use some small weights attached to a length of 12.5 x 25 x 3 aluminium channel to balance the tube to the dec axis. I then independently balance the scope in RA by adding the weights to one of the arms.The Tesco wrist weights with velcro fastners are good.

Thanks for the advice. I went to the local ironmonger at the weekend to get some aluminium, but the metal yard was closed. I came away with some slotted steel shelf uprights instead. I've cut the slotted centre out of one piece to separate into two 'L's, which I'm going to rivet to another section. It looks like it should hold M10 bolts perfectly in the resulting channel - should hold a couple of spare gym weights quite nicely.

Archived