NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Problems mounting guide scope.

Hi,

I've just purchased a HEQ5 mount, a SkyWatcher Evostar 80ED DS Pro Outfit and a Skywatcher Startravel 80 OTA as a guide scope.

Both come with rings.

The Evostar 80ED comes mounted with dovetail.

The Startravel 80 OTA comes mounted on a plastic block with 3x female threaded brass bushings, fairly close together in the base.

My question is, how do I mount it on top of my Evostar 80ED?

What additional bits and pieces do I need to make this happen?

I ordered the complete package from FLO and they put together all the bits needed but I just can't make it happen. :D

Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks

Clear skies!

Mark

Start by drilling new holes(6mm clearance) in a piece of dovetail bar to suit the tube rings of the ST80. Next attach this bar to the top of the tube rings on the ED80 using 1/4" Whitworth bolts. Then attach the tube rings on the ST 80 to the top bar using 6mm bolts through the new holes drilled in the bar. It should look like this:-

post-13675-133877551908_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I have ordered a whole selection of 6mm, 1/4" whitworth in various lengths upto 25mm / 1"1/4 with countersink, hex and allen key heads with a collection of spring and flat washers all in stainless.

Custom Fasteners Ltd UNC/WHITWORTH Countersunk Socket ("Allen") Screws

Got to be something in that lot to put this setup together!

The bolts I do have seem to be 20mm long.

Thanks for the help Steve

Clear Skies!

Mark

• 3 months later...
The tube rings attach with 6mm threaded bolts. When you say length, what length do you mean, 6mm bolt length, 1/4" Whitworth bolt length or dovetail length?

Sorry to hijack the thread but how long would the screws that attach the ST80`s dovetail to the ED80 rings be ?

Thanks

Andy

Sorry to hijack the thread but how long would the screws that attach the ST80`s dovetail to the ED80 rings be ?

I used 20mm but the important thing is that they must not exit the tapped hole in the ED80 rings or they will scratch the ED80's OTA.

Archived