Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help

valleyman

Had my first go at Saturn last night and just could not get it focused.

Equipment SW 200pds HEQ5 pro goto

Canon 1000d unmodded

Barlow x 2

Camera attached direct via Barlow.

Camera setting

Bulb. ISO 800. Exposer 3 sec's

Was very disappointed as the SW200 was bought with astro in mind

Had spent the first 2 hours going for M51 and got my first image of that. after 190 sec exposier.

Am I using the right OT for plantery or should I be looking to get a Refractor?

Would welcome any advice

PS Also tried my SPC900 with same focusing result.

Should I be looking to get a proper CCD

post-19584-13387755144_thumb.jpg

You can't blame the 200PDS for focuse issues.

I took this of saturn through the same scope with the 550D with no barlow used:

I recommend to first focuse on a bright star close to the target, and then record a movie of the planet and stack it in registax or avistack later.

Is the problem that you can't reach the focuse when using the barlow, or that you simply can't fine adjust it?

I had to use an extention tube when i tried with the barlow here yesterday, otherwise it wouldn't reach focuse.

post-22179-133877551449_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply Jannis, No need to do bright star focus with planets. Had live view on the PC. Do not seem able to focus with out the Barlow attached. Going straight into the EP holder does not give me enough Focus length. Have photoed Jupitor succesfully in the past but not with this setup.200 PDS had a Grayford duel focuser so getting sharp images should be easy. Used bright star focus earlier in the evening to catch M51 for the first time. Not a good result but at least got a smudge :D.

OK here goes, Big Ops moment. There should be a section for this.

When trying to photo DSO's and faint Planets, remember to remove moon Filter from Barlow BEFORE attaching Cam.:D

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh 4 hours wasted last night :p

Archived