Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

building a new kind of spaceship i have idea!

I had this idea too. I thought of another way. combining the balloon with a space elevator. A  tube 400 miles long with hot air inside. Hot steam or anything that could travel in the air pushed up through the tube could be solidified and printed in space any shape. A hollow ice world to be sculpted. The tube? graphene perhaps. Also, with a balloon ship you wont need fuel if you use a solar sail, or can hook on to objects that are travelling the required speed for orbit. What about using the outward pressure as propulsion by channeling it through a small rearward facing hole like a deflating balloon flying around. The pressure would be much greater in space and without friction may build up to the required speed. For landing I suggest using the highly efficient hydrogen extractor to collect hydrogen from the air slowly re-inflating the ship for a smooth landing on any planet. I know this was a long time ago but I hope you read this. I want to make these thing too, if you want to collaborate on this..

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Professor Auguste Picard and Paul Kipfer lifted off in a 114ft diameter hydrogen balloon on 26th May 1931 reaching 51,775ft. They had many further flights attaining 75,459ft (23Km) in 1932. On their first flight a barometer burst and the mercury immediately started eating through the floor of the Aluminium sphere. Fortunately the professor had designed a vent valve to the sphere and using a rubber tube the mercury was sucked out to the near vacuum outside. A great science adventure. Returning to topic, as mentioned by members earlier, balloons only offer a short flight to what I would call the edge space. This is  because even at 23Km the Earth's gravity pull is only weakened by about 0.67 per cent. To establish orbit we need momentum to counter the gravity pull. I must admit I have always wondered if it is possible for something to approach Earth orbit from a certain direction and literally drop down through the atmosphere like a balloon falling back to Earth, similar to the description of the Janos Planet bombardment. But that is another topic.

I had this idea too. I thought of another way. combining the balloon with a space elevator. A  tube 400 miles long with hot air inside. Hot steam or anything that could travel in the air pushed up through the tube could be solidified and printed in space any shape. A hollow ice world to be sculpted. The tube? graphene perhaps. Also, with a balloon ship you wont need fuel if you use a solar sail, or can hook on to objects that are travelling the required speed for orbit. What about using the outward pressure as propulsion by channeling it through a small rearward facing hole like a deflating balloon flying around. The pressure would be much greater in space and without friction may build up to the required speed. For landing I suggest using the highly efficient hydrogen extractor to collect hydrogen from the air slowly re-inflating the ship for a smooth landing on any planet. I know this was a long time ago but I hope you read this. I want to make these thing too, if you want to collaborate on this..

Professor Auguste Picard and Paul Kipfer lifted off in a 114ft diameter hydrogen balloon on 26th May 1931 reaching 51,775ft. They had many further flights attaining 75,459ft (23Km) in 1932. On their first flight a barometer burst and the mercury immediately started eating through the floor of the Aluminium sphere. Fortunately the professor had designed a vent valve to the sphere and using a rubber tube the mercury was sucked out to the near vacuum outside. A great science adventure. Returning to topic, as mentioned by members earlier, balloons only offer a short flight to what I would call the edge space. This is  because even at 23Km the Earth's gravity pull is only weakened by about 0.67 per cent. To establish orbit we need momentum to counter the gravity pull. I must admit I have always wondered if it is possible for something to approach Earth orbit from a certain direction and literally drop down through the atmosphere like a balloon falling back to Earth, similar to the description of the Janos Planet bombardment. But that is another topic.

23Km is nowhere near the "edge of space" . In fact, it's less than 1/4 of the way there.

Getting to the Karman line (100Km above the Earth's surface) is relatively easy. Achieving orbit is a whole other kettle of fish.  Getting to the Karman Line takes only about 4% of the energy required to stay there, to achieve orbit.

or can hook on to objects that are travelling the required speed for orbit.

Really? Can you think of any reasons why this could not work?

What about using the outward pressure as propulsion by channeling it through a small rearward facing hole like a deflating balloon flying around.

Which is basically what a rocket motor does. But you need a lot more energy than a deflating balloon can provide. Have a read up on the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation.

Archived