Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My First Ever Deep Sky Stack, a quick M42...

AlexxxAA

mmmm dark flats, not sure what they are, heard of them but never used them.

Light flats, no mate, set the camera onto 'Auto', the green square on a Canon, the camera sets the exposure (sub) length..... you dont want to over expose these, if you want to set the exposure length yourself then use the cameras onboard light meter and set it near the middle.

HTH,

Gary

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhhh ok. That makes sense lol. Sorry I'm such a noob :D

Last question that should clear me up:

Like you said the camera/telescope relation should stay together, I should keep my canon connected to the telescope in order to make these flats right? Even though, for example, if I cover the telescope with a white t-shirt, the camera won't be able to focus in auto mode, but it's the depth of field or flatness that matters right?

No Probs Alex, I like to pass on what little I have learnt over the last few years, some of it I have wrong some of it I have right......

Anyway, you dont need to worry about focusing, it was focused during the imaging run, and as I said dont touch the camera / scope relationship at all until the flats have been done.

Its the exposure that is your main concern, might be best to use it in manual, set the exp. time so that the light meter level is in the middle and take the subs.

A mate of mine uses a laptop to create a white light to get the flats, not sure how he does it. I have been looking at the EL Panels mentioned earlier in this thread but not got round to it yet. The advantage of this is obviously you can do the flats anytime, straight after the main session of you like.

If you want to know anything else mate just ask, its how we learn........

Gary

Archived