NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Zoom eyepieces for binoviewers?

I've just bought a set of WO binoviewers from FLO and am now thinking about extra eyepieces, especially zooms. So my question is, are zoom eyepieces such as the 8-24 click-stop versions from Baader and Televue a good option for binoviewers?

It seems like a no brainer - not having to buy several pairs of eyepieces and the convenience of changing focal lengths with just a twist and a click, but what about image quality, or the extra weight of zooms compared to regular eyepieces?

I'm also considering a Lunt solar scope for the future and was hoping the binos and zooms would work well with solar observing too.

Cheers,

Jon

The Baader zoom is a very nice ep - a fair bit better then others in it's class. The WO binoviewers are also smashing for their price point. However you'll need a good 2" diagonal to provide a solid mounting point on the scope cos the lot together will be quite weighty. I use the WO 2" CF diag.

The TV's I've never used but I'd expect them to be several magnitudes better, similar to the Denkemiers I would think (which I have had a go with) -though never used any with a solar scope. :hello2:

I used TV 8 - 24 click stop zooms in my WO binoviewers and they were great. I now use the same eyepieces in Baader binoviewers. To go in even closer when the seeing is good enough I use two 6mm TMB planetary eyepieces, but mostly I stick with the TVs.

Dave

Hi John,

One thing you should be aware if is the sheer size of the Baader zoom.

I went for TV Plossl for my Baader Mark V in the end, given that they are small (to get the nose in-between ) and light.

Incidental, I use my bino in my Lunt 60 as well, and although the focuser is up to the task I wouldn't want to put more drag on it than my bino with the Plossl.

Thanks Bender, I need to confirm this, but I think the Televues are slightly smaller than the Baaders.

I bet the views through the Lunt are amazing. I'm hoping to get the opportunity to look through one at SGL6.

Archived