SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

first saturn with 15x70

Since the moon was dominating the sky I opted to not even attempt any astrophotography and pulled out my celestron 15x70 binos. I spent some time hunting around the sky until deciding to take a gander at Saturn. To my surprise I noticed that the shape of the dot was oblong which i could only assume is because i was actually able to see its rings. With averted viewing i believe i was able to see more of the planetary shape and barely make out to moons (specks but they were there).

I'm hoping to get a look at Saturn through my 15x70's... I'm not expecting a great deal, but if I see what you've described, that'll do me.

you'll notice that its yellowish color and slightly oblong. it's really cool.

I had a good look at Saturn with my 15x70 revelations yesterday on the tripod and could definately see the orientation of the rings - could not see any moons though. Probably due to having ruined my night vision looking at the moon - which was spectacular. Great pair of Bino's for the money!

I finally looked at Saturn through my bins - wanted to wait till I saw it through a scope first - but yes you can see a definate shape can't you. It is amazing that with a simple pair of bins you can see that much when it is so far away.

I finally looked at Saturn through my bins - wanted to wait till I saw it through a scope first - but yes you can see a definate shape can't you. It is amazing that with a simple pair of bins you can see that much when it is so far away.

I've just been stunned by the amount of objects that you can see through a good pair of bins. So far Jupiter and saturn have yielded some nice results. Jupiter more to just see some of it's moons.

Don't worry. Having recently done both I can tell you that looking through Bins first does not diminish the impact of your first sight through a scope - try and find a really big one to look through. :hello2:

Some of the star clusters have floored me when I have looked at them through bins.

got any suggestions? I tried to find the one near Bootes but I couldn't find it. granted it was also night of the supermoon.

got any suggestions? I tried to find the one near Bootes but I couldn't find it. granted it was also night of the supermoon.

If you mean M3 then I would try again when there is less moon. M3 is only Mag 6.4 and was fairly close to the Full moon that night. That night I had trouble seeing the Auriga clusters which are brighter (Mag 5.6 - 6.4) and much further away from the moon than M3

Rgds

Rob

Finally got to take a look at saturn through my 15x70's tonight. I could definitley make out the orientation of the rings. I checked on Stellarium after viewing just to check and they were bang on where I'd seen them. Couldn't make any moons out, but I do have a fair bit of LP in my back garden and my eyes weren't dark adjusted either, but on the whole still pretty chuffed with what I saw.

Just want to get a humungus scope for a closer look now :hello2:

If you mean M3 then I would try again when there is less moon. M3 is only Mag 6.4 and was fairly close to the Full moon that night. That night I had trouble seeing the Auriga clusters which are brighter (Mag 5.6 - 6.4) and much further away from the moon than M3

Rgds

Rob

Ok thank you for that! I wasn't sure just how bright they are and I scanned and scanned and couldn't find anything that resembled a cluster. Is the cluster spread out any or would it look like a single point of light with something like 15x70 bind?

Finally got to take a look at saturn through my 15x70's tonight. I could definitley make out the orientation of the rings. I checked on Stellarium after viewing just to check and they were bang on where I'd seen them. Couldn't make any moons out, but I do have a fair bit of LP in my back garden and my eyes weren't dark adjusted either, but on the whole still pretty chuffed with what I saw.

Just want to get a humungus scope for a closer look now :hello2:

I have seen it before with a scope and it's certainly impressive!

Ok thank you for that! I wasn't sure just how bright they are and I scanned and scanned and couldn't find anything that resembled a cluster. Is the cluster spread out any or would it look like a single point of light with something like 15x70 bind?

Got out for about an hour last night with the Bins and had a excellent viewing session. Finished off with M3 which is a cracking object - Took me a few minutes to find it as it is off on its own but with the help of my laptop running stellarium in red eye mode and my new tripod I got there.

It looks like a fuzzy edged dot. Much more defined than the Auriga clusters with a definate core. I now want to see it from a darker site than my back garden to see if I can tease any more structure out of it.

Rgds

Rob

Got out for about an hour last night with the Bins and had a excellent viewing session. Finished off with M3 which is a cracking object - Took me a few minutes to find it as it is off on its own but with the help of my laptop running stellarium in red eye mode and my new tripod I got there.

It looks like a fuzzy edged dot. Much more defined than the Auriga clusters with a definate core. I now want to see it from a darker site than my back garden to see if I can tease any more structure out of it.

Rgds

Rob

the sky has been miserable for a couple weeks now here. I thought I was going to have a chance tonight however the high alt clouds rolled in just after the snowed stopped (so much for spring :D )

I'll let you know when I get a chance to look at it myself! Man I'm excited now hahaha.

just had a little look outside and was able to find M3 no problem this time. I also took a look at the beehive..since I could see it with my bare eyes (no bins) and that was stunning...

also took another look at Saturn and could still the rings hoever this time I couldn't make out any moons.

I used my barndoor to take some widefield pictures of the leo constellation and I'm pretty sure I got a couple of the Leo Trio. we'll see how those turn out.

Archived