Covert Garage Into Observatory? Help

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for ideas as to how I can convert my garage into an observatory. The garage has a pitched roof and I fitted a nice loft space a few years ago. But I just don't know how to convert the roof. I've had a Meade 10" LX200 scope for a few years now. But with the presures of work I find that the time it takes to set up and put away the scope prohibative to frequent viewing. I know that I'll have to address vibration issues with the loft but at least I won't suffer from rising heat as if I were to use the house loft. We have a small garden and the wife just won't live with an observatory smack bang in the middle of the lawn. So the garage loft is really the only option. Any ideas or actual solutions to this problem would be really appreciated.

Kind regards

John

Hello John and welcome to SGL , as an Architect I have also been contemplating converting my garage but gave up as I,ve now put the house up for sale .The way I thought of doing this was to have couple of sliding panels either side of the ridge ( you are restricted somewhat with a pitched roof ) .

I did see recently a ridge mounted dome on eBay

Hi John and welcome to SGL.

I think that the loft is going to be an unstable platform. The amount of structural strenthening would make it unrealistic.

You the have the issues of the concrete block walls which will cause ambient heat problems with cooling down etc.

Perhaps a pier in the garden that can be disquised could be an option.

Archived