NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera shots always out of focus

I've got a Celestron SLT127 with the appropriate T Adapter, etc for my Nikon D90. Try as I may I always end up with Moon shots out of focus. I've tried using the supplied 9 and 25mm EP's, TMB 9mm, 2x TAL Barlow plus all manner of exposure times. I'm always using a remote shutter release cable. Before shooting I always zoom in to max on the back of the camera to adjust the focus through the Live View before zooming back out and firing off the shot.

Am I missing something or am I just hopeless?:hello2:

So the image you see via live view is in focus but the image you capture is not?

That would be wierd. Are you sure you're not moving the scope when you take the picture?

If you are using a t-adapter I presume you are shooting at prime focus and if so what are you using the EPs for and how?

Focus is such a critical ingredient in Astrophotography. It is also not easy to get it spot on. Do you wear glasses perhaps. You need to use them to focus for imaging, as your eyes will see the image differently to a camera. If they are Bi Focals, focus using the distance part of the lens.You could also purchase a Bahtinov Mask, which fits over the front of your scope, and you can then focus on a bright star. Take a picture and the star will be at the centre of a series of diffraction lines, but adjusting the scopes focuser in small increments, and taking images after each change, you will gradually get the central lines to intersect the diagonal ones bang in the centre. That is your focus spot on. Remove the mask, then take the exposure of the object you want to image.

The Masks are available for most scopes, and various Astro Dealers sell them. You need to supply the Scope type, aperture diameter, and focal length.

Ron.

So the image you see via live view is in focus but the image you capture is not?

That would be wierd. Are you sure you're not moving the scope when you take the picture?

If you are using a t-adapter I presume you are shooting at prime focus and if so what are you using the EPs for and how?

Sorry, my bad re the mention of EPs. It's prime focus with a 2x Barlow and sometimes not. I'm fairly certain I'm not moving the scope as I let everything pause for a mo' (me included) before I shoot.

Focus is such a critical ingredient in Astrophotography. It is also not easy to get it spot on. Do you wear glasses perhaps. You need to use them to focus for imaging, as your eyes will see the image differently to a camera. If they are Bi Focals, focus using the distance part of the lens.You could also purchase a Bahtinov Mask, which fits over the front of your scope, and you can then focus on a bright star. Take a picture and the star will be at the centre of a series of diffraction lines, but adjusting the scopes focuser in small increments, and taking images after each change, you will gradually get the central lines to intersect the diagonal ones bang in the centre. That is your focus spot on. Remove the mask, then take the exposure of the object you want to image.

The Masks are available for most scopes, and various Astro Dealers sell them. You need to supply the Scope type, aperture diameter, and focal length.

Ron.

Ron, that's an interesting point re glasses. I have reading / computer distance glasses (bi) which I don't need when viewing through the telescope. I might be focusing on the Live View without the glasses. It's a sign of ageing when I can't remember!:hello2:

I'll see if I can find a mask for my scope on fleabay.

Archived