SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Televue 8-24 Zoom Eyepiece

Kai

I would appreciate you comments/opinions on this.

At the moment i have pretty much standard Celestron plossls in my collection.

I am not in position to start replacing them with top line eyepieces but i might be able to justify the zoom. (Birthday soon)

The eyepiece's i use most are the lower f/length ones around 15-25 mm,but this may have more to do with eye relief than anything else.

I would love a 24 panoptic but its a bit out of my price range at the mo and you dont see many for £150 second hand.

Is it worth £180 ??? and whats the view like ???

Cheers

I had the Vixen version of the 8-24 which is identical to the televue minus the click stops. I liked it and found the views pleasing. However 2 things got on my nerves, one was the poor FOV, it's only 40 degrees at the 24mm setting which is less than a standard plossl, and two it wasn't parfocal along it's range which means when you change the zoom you have to refocus which was a REAL pain in the proverbial.

Just buy the 24mm Panoptic if you are considering it, it's the best eyepiece in this area IMO. I sold my 24mm Panoptic (for £140) and brought a 16mm T5 nagler instead (which has the same FOV) for £190. I then sold the nagler and repurchased the 24 pan (for £140 actually). Thats how good it is.

The zoom is great if you want a grab and go eyepiece and can only carry one or 2, but for anything else it's just not good enough due to the FOV and the parfocal issue IMO.

Now the 3-6 nagler zoom.... thats a different kettle of fish, a work of art everyone should own one!

I like the 8-24mm zoom, it has limitations but also has its uses. I find it to be pretty sharp, better than I was led to expect, it's pretty close to my Vixen LV's. It does have a very narrow view at the 24 end, only 40 degrees panning out to 55 degrees at 8mm. Two things I like are, zooming into your target, gives you that flying towards the Moon for example feeling. The other thing I like is that as you zoom the contrast increases turning the background blacker and making M42 for example pop out at you. It's very comfortable to use giving 15-20mm eye relief.

I'm glad it's in my eyepiece case, great for lightweight travel too. It's expensive but probably the best of the species, wouldn't bother with the real cheap ones. See Steve at FLO for your 10% discount and it makes it a bit more attractive. There might even be one on ebay.

Dave

Won't quibble overmuch with any of the above - IMO the Zoom and Pan 24mm just different beasts (Or I'm just too slow in posting!) I do have an 8-24mm Televue Zoom "as new" in box and simply surplus to requirements. Looking for (as before?) £140 inc P&P/Ins/Next Day Deliv. No obligation, Refs. Photos. PM me, if interested. :rolleyes:

Won't quibble overmuch with any of the above - IMO the Zoom and Pan 24mm just different beasts (Or I'm just too slow in posting!) I do have an 8-24mm Televue Zoom "as new" in box and simply surplus to requirements. Looking for (as before?) £140 inc P&P/Ins/Next Day Deliv. No obligation, Refs. Photos. PM me, if interested. :rolleyes:

Very true.

I have also the Vixen version. It's very good considering you have most of the focal lengths, it's sharp and comfortable to use.

However , it has tunnelvision and indeed a narrow FOV at 24 mm, also a bit fuzzy at 8.

The pan 24 is a whole other 'beast'. Most impressive, comfortable and a wide field.

I use the zoom at starpartys because it has big eyerelief and adjustable magnification.

I rarely use it at home

I use the pan at home all the time....

Archived