Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Here comes the sun...

As we have had a tiny bit of sun in the last week I thought I would test the resolution out on my spectroscope and try a few shots of the sun.

So for your amusement here are some spectra:

Magnesium triplet

Stargazers Lounge - jsandse's Album: Spectra - Picture

Sodium doublet

And good old h-alpha

If anyone else has some nice sun spectra I would like to see them

cheers

John

Whoooo

The Sodium doublet looks nice..plenty of Fe lines.

Which camera did you use? A dispersion/ plate scale of 0.0928A/pixel is pretty good going!

Just think of the resolution you'd get if you "converted" to a spectrohelioscope...an order of magnitude over the Ha solar filters and you get to chose the wavelength!!

An image of the Sun in Na anyone!!

Well done.

(BTW The BASS solar atlas gives a great annotated reference spectrum!)

Hi Merlin,

I used the Atik camera with 6.45micron pixels

Since I flipped the slit I am getting even more resolution as well as less light scatter :)

Looked at the bass spectrum web pages and saw the spectra but couldnt see the annotations for what the elements are. If you could let me know where they are that would be great. I have been using the Liege solar spectra up to now and that is annotated (but not for all the lines I have on my spectra).

Spectrohelioscope sounds interesting but are they not big and potentially therefore expensive. Saw an example of this by Fred Veio one on the web:

The SpectroHelioScope by Leonard Higgins and Fred Veio

Would be interested to know what valid research work could be done on the sun with amateur equipment. I don't know much about solar astronomy - but I do know that it is an active subject out there and there are experts out there spending most of their time studying the sun.

Archived