NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade 127ED apo & DSI II ?

Interested

Hi all,

I am new to the lounge and this is my first post.

Have long been interested in astronomy and was going to buy a setup when I retired (in a couple of years). Fed up of waiting, I have ordered a Meade 127mm f7.5 refractor & HEQ5 Pro (about the best I could afford on my budget - and I am unlikely to be able to afford much upgrading in the future). Apart from observation I would like to try some DSI and need some advice on the following:

1. Would the Meade DSI II be a good starting point for a beginner to imaging? (It's on offer at Telescope House).

2. As my laptop is Windows 7, are there drivers available for the DSI II?

3. Will I need a focal reducer, and if so, what should I buy and from where?

4. I have read a few posts and noted the term 'modded DSLR' (I assume, to allow longer exposures?) would this be a better route than the DSI II for DSI?

5. Where does one buy a modded DSLR?

The light polution where I live is pretty bad but my girlfriend lives 1200' above sea level and away from any towns somwhere in mid Wales!

In advance, many thanks for any help anyone can give.

P.S. Assume I write my kit list (when I get it) as part of my signature block? :o

The DSI II looks a nice bit of kit,but at £600 it should be,I have heard good reviews of it,as Ive been looking at options too,

Im no expert with DSLR's but I think the term "modded" refers to the sensitivity to a particular part of the spectrum,I know if you use a modded DSLR for normal photography you may have to have a red filter on the front :)

Hope someone comes along who knows a bit more :(

JJ..

The DSLR modification is performed to remove the Infra Red Cut filter, so the camera can be used for Infra Red, and /or Astro Photography.

The filter that is removed, can be replaced with another costing around £56, which allows the camera to be used for normal as well as AP. Of course the cost of the modification adds a lot to the cost, roughly about £200 all in I think. A little cheaper if you forego the filter replacement.

Some of the later Canon DSLR's have better Ha response, and may not need the modification. If you are a DIY expert, and like fiddly jobs, you can do the mod. yourself, however, if the camera is new, you won't have a Warranty anymore

There is a tutorial available if you decide to do it.

Ron.

The Meade 127 (I used to have one) will cover a DSLR APS chip fairly well without a flattener, though corner stars will not be perfect.

These days at 600 pounds I think a DSLR beats the DSI. Modifying DSLRs means removing and optionally replacing the filter which partially blinds DSLR chips to the critically important H alpha emission line in which some of our favourite nebulae shine. A good mono CCD camera like the Atik 314L has a smallish chip but stunning sensitivity and would allow you take smaller but far better pictures with your Meade. But at a greater cost...

Olly

Thank you for the inputs.

Telescope house are selling the Meade Deep Sky Imager II (Colour) for £305. I thought that would be a good starting point (sort of plug-n-play!). I have read that a monochrome chiped CCD and filters would give a better result than a colour chip but, being new to imaging I wanted to start simple!

I think I should be able to use the DSI without the need of a reducer.

The DSI seems like a reasonable entry point.

My scope and mount arrived today - disappointingly, a noticeable bit of dust in the centre of the front lense (on the inside). The shop say it shouldn't affect its use but if it does, return it and they will sort it out (local shop).

Time to put everything together and get it working. The mount is a HEQ5 Pro......all new to me, so will take a few nights before I am up and running.

Again, many thanks for your replies.

Archived