NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

synscan problem

I have had lots of problems with synscan eq5. After 3 star alignment completed all ok, then within 30 secs - 1 min keeps going into initialize and have to re-align. Thought I would upgrade firmware but all I get is unable to connect to handset. This keeps appearing even by changing the speed to Lo. The synscan was bought new, 1 month ago with with firmware version 1.7 is this an old hand set and not upgradable?

This is kind of confusing. I thought the EQ5 was an equatorial mount, but the version of Synscan you have seems to be the AZ version.

Second, I just checked the Skywatcher site, and it lists the latest versions of AZ firmware as 3.08 for the Skywatcher Dobsonian, and 3.07 for Skywatcher AZ GOTO mounts. It looks like a recent jump in AZ firmware versions. When the EQ side of SynScan did this, previous versions were not upgradeable.

So, if I read your equipment correctly, the EQ5 is an equatorial mount but your firmware version is in the AZ family? But your three star alignment completed OK so I'm stumped (not at all unusual) about what instrument and firmware you have.

Now, about the reinitializing. That sounds like a weak power source, dropping the threshhold voltage and reinitializing the hand controller. It could also be a wire problem between the hand controller and mount head, or even inside the mount head, making the controller think it is resetting. Finally, it could even be a jiggling power connector at the mount or at the power end, if using a battery.

Sorry, you have a mystery; is it possible to contact your supplier for guidance?

Good Luck.

Are you sure you are reading the firmware version correctly ?. The EQ5 with either a Synscan upgrade or the EQ5 Pro Synscan should have a version 3 handset which is upgradeable. The problem you are experiencing appears to be power related. What are are powering the mount with ?

Peter

When slewing, the current draw is just under 2 amps (1.96 typical) - if your setup keeps re-booting then I would have to agree with Peter in that the current draw is pulling the voltage down causing it to re-boot.

What power source are you using

I have checked power consumption whilst using battery, and mains dc supply with 5amp 13.4v and using supplied power lead, still problems I did manage to flash firmware, now I get com error on hand set OVL are collecting it.

Hope this will resolve my problem.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike

Archived