Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Will this power my motors?

Peter Reader

Hi all!

Have an EQ5 with motors. Batteries are running low I think and want to image tonight. Just found part of a battery charger for my RC aircraft lipo batteries. Has the same output connector as the motor battery pack and I plan to use it with an extension lead from the mains. Can anyone confirm if this will work? DOn't want to damage my motors...

INformation:

INPUT: 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.7A

OUTPUT: +12V 1.5A

Thanks

Pete

I Think the EQ5 motors are 6v - you had better check! That is the "ordinary" RA and Dec motors. I Think the goto/synscan (or whatever its called!) version is 12V. My other concern is that the mount may well draw around 2A when slewing so you may not have enough power.

The supply required (well for the sysnscan unit) is 12v but 2amp - when slewing both axis they draw around 1.96 Amps. You will get voltage drop from your 1.5amp supply which will cause problems

Under voltage is "safer" than over voltage... so I don't think that you would do any real damage, it would be like running on flat batteries.

Have a look at Maplins, they do powertanks for starting cards which are between £30 and £50... alternatively, if you want to run off of mains then look at purchasing a suitable power block - 12v @2 Amp with I beleive a 2.1mm centre positive connector. - I actually use one that was left over from when I had a Netgear switch go belly up... I never throw things like that away as you never know when they come in handy :o

Archived