NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie : A Few Extras For Me Mak

Hi

Being a total newbie I just wondered if the peeps on here could identify some extras I will/may need for my Skymax127 and az goto mount?

For instance I need to be able to reduce the focal length in some way for imaging and viewing and I am aware of focal reducers but there are different ones and I am not sure what I need.

Then there is :

a cheap filter to image and view the Sun

I need (or do I?) a dew system

portable power

a quality barlows or some other simlar device

an improvement to my guidescope which I can't see at night!!

A really useful thing would be a wireless usb hub but I don't know if the video from the webcam will feed the laptop in realtime quick enough?

and so as I am encountering all these things for the first time I just wondered what advice I could get about what would be really useful to me right now since getting the scope and mount last week?

ta.

You will need some form of dew prevention, either a dew shield or a heated dew prevention strip, or both. Possibly a red light torch as well.

Other than that I'd wait until you have tried using the scope a few times before splashing out on accessories. There are just so many (literally hundreds of options) that it's much better to get a little experience under your belt so that you can make the right investments for you.

The 2nd hand astro pages are full of stuff that "seemed a good idea at the time" !.

lol - thats kinda why I started this thread!! I want things now that would be actually useful and helpful (such as a focal reducer for shooting the moon with my webcam this month?). Also I need to consider a budget for this year and so there will need to be priorities.

lol - thats kinda why I started this thread!! I want things now that would be actually useful and helpful (such as a focal reducer for shooting the moon with my webcam this month?). Also I need to consider a budget for this year and so there will need to be priorities.

What lies behind my reply is that it all depends on the individual - there is no "set kit list" for astronomy. Until you have actually tried the equipment for youself it's really difficult to anticipate where your interests will lie, what aspects of the supplied equipment you are happy with and which you would like to improve, etc, etc. :(

I've seen so many folk rush into purchases suggested in good faith by others only to have to sell them on again, at a loss, because, after using the scope, they realised what they really needed :)

Perhaps I'm naturally too cautious through :o

An 8mm eyepiece may be more useful then the 6mm you have. With theselection of eyepieces I cannot see the use for a barlow for visual. You have most things covered in that respect.

Dew shield, simple one to start with. If there is a Hobbycraft near you pay them a visit and see if one of the bigger sheets of foam they have will go round.

Solar filter, you will have to make your own from the solar film. Comes in A4 sheets, you will need a little craft skill and some card. Think there is a guide somewhere on SGL. Astro Engineering did make some but not sure if they make for the SW 127. Theirs are glass and in effect a mirror/ND filter with 99.998 reflectance, 0.002% transmission.

Power, I prefer a mains transformer supply. If you get a power tank remember that if they drain they are damaged. Maplins for a start.

Guide scope, not sure what the problem is. If it is light in general then try a solar powered led lamp that you can attach, go search the internet. Wilkinsons sell solar garden lights at about £2 a piece.

Other useful things, warm clothing.

Archived