NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Broken GOTO???

Hi

I bought a Skywatcher Skymax 127 goto in January. With the clear skies this week, we had our first go at trying to align, via brightest star and 2 star alignment. We soon ran into a problem, as the handset has got the stars in the wrong position. It was saying that Vega was in the southern sky (at roughly 8pm), Arcturus and Saturn Were both in the western sky (again at 8pm). When we tried to align first with Dubhe, it then slewed way over to the west for Arcturus. We then slewed back to the east for it, centered it, pressed enter and was told alignment failed. Was hoping someone may know why it is doing this?

Thank you

Lots of possibilities, mainly Human error spring to mind

1) have you input the date in American format (mm/dd/yyyy)?

2) have you input the lat and long in correct format (Long then Lat)

3) used 24 hr format correctly?

Very easy to make a mistake. My Synscan worked perfectly first 3 times then was hopelessly out. Tried all sorts, then after an hour of frustration took it indoors and discovered I had entered the date in English format (dd/mm/yyyy). Once altered worked fine again.

I had that when i first got my Nexstar, its a dam pain in the you know what, especially having to do it every time. I know it's a bit morbid, but the only way i remember about it is 9/11 and 7/7. I can't believe it would be that flippin hard to do a quick flash of some kind when these scopes enter europe !

Archived