Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Very new

smccullie

I have a meade goto scope 80mm (dont know what its called) looks like the Meade DS-2080AT-TC but its blue???

Anyway i have been looking at the stars but would like to do some day time viewing, what filter or filters do i need?? any help welcome thanks :(

If you mean solar observing, you will need a solar filter in front of the objective, to reflect away 99.999% of the light, otherwise it is completely unsafe. Baader solar film is the best cheap option for solar observing (there are some nice sunspot groups out there now). It comes in sheets of about 20x30cm and you can cut it to size to fit both main and finder scope.

For ordinary daytime use all you need is an erecting diagonal, or use your star diagonal and put up with the fact that everything is mirrored, but at least not upside-down. No filters are required to use it as a HUGE spotting scope. I did this with my little APM 80mm, and the result was stunning!! You could see every little feather on birds dozens of yards away.

Archived