NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

best saturn so far

bm1980

Hi all this is my best saturn image to date, captured with the spc 900 then stacked in registax, i am happy so far but think i need a barlow to bring out the detail and increase image size. I am considering buying a barlow, which would be best for my setup/ would a 3x be to much?

post-24720-133877542982_thumb.png

i`d try a 2x barlow first using a 127, i`ve seen some amazing pictures using these scopes of planets, once you get good at getting the image onto the chip and so on you can always try using a 3x but the field of view would be small so alignment needs to be good

Hi stuart ive just looked at some of the images you have captured with the 3x tal and i am impressed . If i go for the tal could i capture simillar? also just had a look on the flo website and no price for the 3x tal how much did it cost if you dont mind me asking? also i have read about extension tubes how do these increase mags and were/how much are they? :(

3x Tal was £35. Check out these images taken by James with 3x Tal and skymax 127 (same scope as yours).http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/132717-saturn-2-3-11-127mm-mak-n-spc.html

To be honest an extension tube is not really necessary 3x is pretty much the limit with the 127. You could pick up a used skywatcher deluxe 2x barlow for a tenner, the lens on these can be screwed off to make an extension tube (you could use it as a 2x barlow too of course).

The televue 3x looks very nice, i am tempted but dont know if my budget will allow. Is it worth paying double the cost of the tal 3x barlow?

I have just found the tal on the OVL website just need to check the stock, is the tal a skywatcher product as it seems to be listed with them.

Skywatcher Barlow Lenses - Telescope Barlow Lenses by OVL

Also found an ascension 3x at opticstar for £25 Are these any good?

Ascension 1.25" x3 Short Achromatic Barlow.

I've never used the televue so I can't say but I doubt it's twice as good. I'm not familiar with the other barlow you mention. Tal is a different make to skywatcher.

As your just starting out I think a used skywatcher deluxe 2x barlow for a tenner would be good enough. Thats how I started and had some nice images only getting a tal when my imaging became advanced enough to tell the difference. That's if you can't get hold of a Tal at the moment.

Archived