Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help Please M42

Hi,

I know these aren't particularly good images by the standards on here so please be gentle! I'm pretty new to imaging, and my camera isn't as light sensitive as the modern stuff, but I still like to try within the restrictions of an AZ mount (I'm saving for an EQ5 Synscan..). I've made up these three from adjustments made to a rather dim original taken befoe the clouds rolled in early Feb. Which of the colour casts attached do you think is best? Any help with processing gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Piers

post-23802-133877542464_thumb.jpg

post-23802-133877542476_thumb.jpg

post-23802-133877542487_thumb.jpg

For a newcomer having a first go they are very good and experimenting with colour is going to teach you a lot, I think the last process is best with rich colours. You have tried to keep the trapezium which is good but getting the faint stuff is difficult. The guiding is very good and as ever longer subs will give you more but AltAz limits this which you know about.

What camera/exposure, assume you are using what in your signature as the Canon 20d is an excellent DSLR and the Mak a good starting scope although better for Moon and Planets?

What software did you use? You will need to learn Levels and Curves as you have clipped black point meaning its too dark drowning fainter stuff. Did you calibrate the image with darks/flats?

Keep at it as your showing lots of promise with this effort.

Regards, John.

Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback, glad you liked them! Yes, I'm using my Canon 20d through the Mak. Original exposure was 30sec at 1600ISO. I'm using Aperture with Topaz plug-ins to process/remove noise, and Keith's Image Stacker. I didn't use darks, and I'm not sure what flats are!

Kind regards,

Piers

Archived