NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First attempt at solar imaging - AR1166

Whippy

I've been waiting for the opportunity to give this a go for a while now, mainly having to wait for the Sun to clear over my house during the day! Now I've had my first taste and I can see myself developing a taste for it :). Not quite sure what I was doing in Registax but it's turned out pretty well so onwards and upwards!

This was taken with a Phillips flashed 880 webcam with a UV/IR filter in the nosepiece, Celestron Ultima x2 Barlow and an ED120 with Baader filter paper. I think there's about 2,500 frames here and a bit of playing about in Photoshop afterwards.

Tony..

post-13439-133877542249_thumb.jpg

I have to admit John, I've only done anything solar related a couple of times and this is the first time I got a camera on it. It looked really impressive through the eyepiece and TBH when I got the cam going it was boiling away so it's not as sharp as I saw it.

My filter isn't full aperture either. It goes over the hole in the middle of the dustcap so I'm thinking I should buy another sheet of the silver foil and make a larger one.

Thanks Ken :), over cooked? I've got a fair idea on DSO's but all this webcam business is completely new to me so all pointers and tips are gratefully received!

Tony..

Run the AVI through registax and don't touch the wavelets, just look at the histogram and do some stretch and maybe Gamma.

Save that image.....that will be your reference point. (That image is as bad as it gets!!)

If the seeing is rubbish don't work below say level four on the wavelets...pump up the levels one at a time starting at 6 and compare the results with that reference image.

Punching the buttons down around level 3-1 only really works ( at least for me) when you know the seeing was very good and you selected the best frame up front in Registax when setting the quality level.

I'm certainly no expert... just make mistakes like veryone else...

Archived