SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone want to have a try at processing my images

Hi guys, well last night was the first night in a while that I have the chance to get out and do some imaging. I got a couple of hours on the Flaming Star Nebula and the Heart Nebula and an hour or so on the Markarian Chain. All shot at ISO 800 for 300 sec subs. I took some flats but I am using stock darks which may be causing me some problems as they may have been at a slightly different temperature.

I have put all my lights,darks and flats up on my server so if anyone would like to have a go at processing I would be very interested in the results. Just PM me and I'll send you the FTP login details.

I'm getting very noisy background and struggling to get the overall look right.

Thanks guys

OK I had a go at the Heart Nebula (still downloading the others) ... here is what I got out of my first pass. I think I might work on it again later, but I was able to increase the contrast and enhance some of the details a bit Let me know what you think so far - I will post more as I continue processing through them.

Edit: re-uploaded - hopefully the compression isn't as much this go around

post-24627-133877544533_thumb.jpg

Martin - I am glad you like it!

As far as how I got the detail, i short, I took out all the stars first before processing it.

I did this through multiple renditions of "Dust & Scratches" (starting with 10/35 and working my way down to 1/3) then used the healing brush to get rid of any other star remnants. I balanced the background then had to do alot of gradient fixes as you had some odd ones in here, then started stretching with levels and curves.

Next I ran through some of my Photoshop actions, then more levels and curves, a high pass mask, and then I opened up another copy of the original, just used levels to stretch out a bit so the stars weren't too small (if you add them in from the original with no stacks they look fake as they are ridiculously small) then pasted this as a layer with the blending mode of "lighten" (1st make sure that your rest of the image is darker than the fully stretched version else you will negate all the work you did to stretch without the stars) to add the stars back in. Merge those together and then did some fine tuning for gradients, noise reduction, and contrast enhancement.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring this back from the depths but I have been given a few tips from Anna (antimorris) on processing astro images and I have tried to use some of those techniques by reprocessing the Heart Nebula image I captured a while back. Anyway, here is another attempt.

5814894807_3595da9cf0_b.jpg

Heart Nebula IC 1805 by ashworthacca, on Flickr

This was processed during my lunch hour on my uncalibrated work laptop. I have gone overboard on the colour I know but is it an improvement on my first attempt in my second post??

There are some techniques that, whilst I know what they do, I am still struggling with (although the original data is not the best to work with) but practice makes perfect as they say.:)

Thanks to Anna.......and sorry all for the blingy stars, couldn't resist.:icon_eek:

Sorry to bring this back from the depths but I have been given a few tips from Anna (antimorris) on processing astro images and I have tried to use some of those techniques by reprocessing the Heart Nebula image I captured a while back. Anyway, here is another attempt.

Heart Nebula IC 1805 by ashworthacca, on Flickr

This was processed during my lunch hour on my uncalibrated work laptop. I have gone overboard on the colour I know but is it an improvement on my first attempt in my second post??

There are some techniques that, whilst I know what they do, I am still struggling with (although the original data is not the best to work with) but practice makes perfect as they say.:)

Thanks to Anna.......and sorry all for the blingy stars, couldn't resist.:icon_eek:

I really like this one. Quite stylized but the blood red complements the subject.

I really like this one. Quite stylized but the blood red complements the subject.

I tried to push it as much as I could both in extracting detail in the nebula and also colourwise. As a result I introduced noise and artefacts due to noise reduction with Noise Ninja.

I'm really happy with what I have achieved but really need 200% more captured data to do it justice.

Archived