How many nights observing in North West

dharma66

I'm thinking of buying a scope.

I live in Manchester, specifically the north east of he Manchester region, Rochdale/Oldham way.

How many nights in a year do people in that area reckon are good for observing?

If it's a low number, I might drop my budget considerably...

you cant do it like that mate some people might miss good nights of observing due to family commitments , nights out etc go out buy what you want and enjoy it when you get a clear night thats what ive done, im in yorkshire and the past year ive only done 5 nights observing so my £3500 worth of equipments stood in a corner ready to jump to work when i want

david

I'm thinking of buying a scope.

I live in Manchester, specifically the north east of he Manchester region, Rochdale/Oldham way.

How many nights in a year do people in that area reckon are good for observing?

If it's a low number, I might drop my budget considerably...

Tough question, I live in the North West, coastal location and on the edge of a large urban area. I have found I can use a small telescope or bins sometimes several times a week. Being opportunistic is the key when we don't live in the Arizona desert. I check XCWeather every day: XCWeather - Forecast for Rochdale . there are also satellite views available and sites like this Astronomy Weather Forecasts

Think carefully about your purchases, being able to get set up quickly or use good bins can really help. I regularly check conditions and can be out and viewing within minutes. Often the best conditions round here are small wind blown clouds, the sky between the clouds is often better than a clear still night, less mist, moisture is more in the clouds and not in the air. The sky can open up even when the forecast is cloud, just after rain the seeing can be amazing.

Start with some good binoculars and see how it fits in with your lifestyle. I have a mix of gear, none is very expensive but I tend to use the gear I can be viewing with the quickest.

Tony.

From someone who lives in North East Manchester near the borders of Oldham and Rochdale, we get are far share of clear nights, to be honest no one could put a number to it , same as anyone else in the North West. I've spent a few quid on my kit over the years and i dont regret it one little bit, astronomy seem's to grow on you and at the same time empty your pockets. There are a few of us around this neck of the woods who have some really nice scope's, cant speak for them but there signatures say it all. As far as time out on my scope like most of us it fits in with work, family etc.

Simon

Archived