Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light Polution

Here are two images of Orion taken from my back garden last night. I think these images show what a problem light polution has become. The first image is the raw unprocessed image taken using my sony DSC-W1 with a 5 second exposure the second image is the processed version of the first image. I processed it using iPhoto.

The sky glow is caused by two things about 3/4 of a mile to the south west of my garden. The first is the Trafford Center Shopping complex which leaves most of its lights on all night. The second and by far the worst is the PlayGolf Driving Range which has so many floodlights it appears on the horizon as a white glow which can be seen from upto ten miles away, these lights don't get switched off until midnight which is 2 hours after they shut.

image.jpg

image.jpg

LP is a considerable problem for most of us, the only way to omit some of it is to use a light pollution filter, which works very well. Coupled with the use of editting programs, we can achieve better results. So for the time being, thank goodness there are ways around it, until of course they do something about the overuse of artificial light sources... We could be waiting a long time for that to happen.

Caz

Archived