Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Maxim DL help

I've recently tried some new software:

Gradient Xterminator (liked it, but not sure about paying $50 for it)

Pixinsight (didn't like it at all)

Noel's Actions (bought them)

and that brings me onto Maxim DL.

I have a Canon 450D DSLR at the minute, but hope to get a CCD at some point. I am completely stumped with Maxim DL - can someone give me some pointers?

As it's cloudy, I thought I would process some CR2 raw image files that I already have to see how I get on. With a bit of trial and error, I can get Maxim to stack some lights and I can get it debayer an image, but I can't get Maxim to accept my darks/flats/bias files. When I point it to a directory with them in it to sort them out automagically it simply doesn't pick them up - and when I try to select them manually it does nothing (given a single frame) or gives an error with multiple frames (an error occurred when trying to calibrate the document. One or more of the calibration images was corrupt). I get the same error from two of my computers but the images work just fine in DSS.

What am I doing wrong?

Maxim uses FITS headers to decide what calibration files are what. When you collect your calibration files in Maxim it is important to specify the calibration type of sub in the imaging sequence window. Check the fits headers under "view" menu. You can edit the FITS header if necessary

Martin has hit the nail on the head. If your camera does not output FITS you are up against it. MaxIm reads the FITS header to find out the file type and then amends the FITS header details so you know what has happened historically. Seems you would have to go through all the files and give them the 'proper' name, ie, Darks, Flats etc.

Dennis

So I will have difficulty trying out Maxim with my DSLR images (saved directly to the flash card on the camera and then imported to the computer as Canon .CR2 RAW images)? I tried to import each image into the correct set, but it was having none of it (there are two of my flat frames here, for example). It accepts the light files OK. I was hoping to at least try that out, as it might be weeks before I get another clear night and I only have a 30 day trial licence! Ho hum.

I take it that if I use Maxim to actually take the pictures with my Canon 450D it will adjust the EXIF date of the RAW images accordingly so that they can be used?

Does anyone have some suitable unstacked .fits images with darks/flats/bias etc that I can have a play with?

As a supplementary quesion, given that Maxim knows the data/time/location and controls the camera, mount and if available, focuser; assuming the mount has already been polar aligned can Maxim just set itself up for the evenings imaging using the plate solver and all sky planetarium?

I think you will have to shoot and title all your cal frames so they can be recognised by you. You can then combine them to make the masters and amend the FITS header with file type as necessary. Once done, cal should be straightforward.

You can do all of this in daylight with your Canon, shut it in a wardrobe for the lights!

Dennis

You can also create the list of calibration files manually if you don't have the header information correct (i.e. I always forget to shoot flats as 'flats' rather than 'lights'). I think, when you create the master, Maxim will put the right header info in that file??

Archived