Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

roof alternatives for small obsy/shed

Bender

Hi,

Just started redoing the back of my garden and my wife kindly granted to replace the old shed with a new one (apr. 2m x 3m) that will hopefully leave me with 2m x2m room next to a tightly packed corner with garden tools.

I plan to start with a tripod and a Newtonian. Giving that there will be not enough space to move the whole roof what alternatives would I have .

I thought it might be possible to open the gable roof. The back side would just have to move in an upright position as it would be otherwise in neighbours garden.

The front side could open all the way down. ( maybe a couple of heavy duty hinges and something to cover the gap between the two sides of the gable roof?)

Thanks

Andre

Bender... see my obs .. 6 x4 hope this helps

Build it as big as she will let you... I wish , wish , wish I'd built mine bigger, its only good for a 90mm frac with camera and filter wheel... anything longer forget it.

you will need at least 6' x 6' mines a rabbit hutch by some obs on here :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-observatories/86528-my-obsy-gets-underway.html

Thanks for the link Guy,

We want to use the old concrete floor so 10x6 is as big as it goess. I was kind a hoping to get a decent sized newtonian in there but havent really measured so far if this is realistic.

On the bright side, i think I should have enough space to the right side of the shed to have a rolling roof like yours. Sounds to be a more stable option than my first plan.

Hope to get the old shed out and the new one in in June, lots of planning to do to get it all done in one day

Have a look at mine, link in my sig, 6 x 7 Argos with a split roof for sideways openng thus saving space. I use both 12/240v but not together, I use the 12v as a testbed. Laptop in obsy is for telescope and camera control and monitor/keboard is for control of house laptop, I can control everything from the house using the laptop. Still an ongoing project as I steal ideas through these threads, a thank you to all for that :(

Jim

Archived