Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First galaxies.

KentDave

Hi All,

Had my 3rd 'proper' night outside tonight and it was a good one.

After realising an absolutely ridiculous mistake I had been making, I nailed the polar alignment so I'm pleased to say that went smoothly and now I properly understand what I am doing tracking objects became the smooth operation I had hoped for.

I have found M42 and M45, and decided tonight was the night for a galaxy. I tried M51 (again!) but had no luck, I know where it is but cant seem to find it in the scope, and struggle to navigate around that area, but I shall persevere.

Having failed at my first object I decided to aim for M81 & M82, and after a little bit of navigation/luck I could make out a 'smear' and correctly identified it as the cigar galaxy, so I knew the other was nearby. M81 was much easier to see appearing as a bright core with a surrounding haze, which got easier to see the more I looked at it. I was really pleased!

Saturn had come into view so, with it fast becoming my favourite thing to look at, I moved the scope round and got it in view. If it wasn't for work, I think I could watch it all night! Keeping it in view was so simple with it being properly aligned for the first time, it was getting a bit cloudy and very cold but those gimpses when it becomes really clear make it totally worthwhile.

It was yet another good night, and with that I shall say goodnight!

Cheers, Dave.:)

Congrats - M51 is elusive until you've found it a few times - can be very faint and is sort of 'out there alone'. Pick a few targets that are closer to more easily identifiable targets - Leo Cluster in Leo stands out for me.

Dark skies!

Archived