Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Volunteer please for image post processing help (with incentive)

SteveKinder

I am new to astrophotography.

I haven’t mastered auto guiding yet (long story) but will do eventually.

I am getting some single images that as a beginner I am encouraged by without (auto) guiding.

I am subtracting darks and stacking lights in DSS (limited to total of 10 – 20 mins total exposure at the moment as I am too impatient).

I have done loads of background reading on post processing in Photoshop.

What I have no confidence in whatsoever as yet as I get such varied results is whether I am reaching anywhere near the potential of these pics with my post processing.

I have noticed people on the Forum taking other peoples shots and improving them.

I am being cheeky and directly putting a plea our for someone to have a go at one or more of my shots straight out of DSS to see what they can do with them with a view to me realistically setting expectations on my post processing results.

Examples from the weekend just gone include

Rosette Nebula

Horse Head Nebula

Eskimo Nebula

M35 + NGC2158

M38 + NGC1907

How do I best make the images available, the DSS output *.tif files are approx 95Mbytes?

I know the kind ad generous people on here don’t need and incentive but I am inviting the people who have been giving me help and advice already over to a star party at my place in Ibiza (good skies, loads of room, not to mention the best clubs in the world) in May as a think you. There are still a few places left and I hope the first of these won’t be the last.

Thanks again.

Steve.

Steve, is there any chance you could post them up on a web-based file host and people could download them from there? I think you'd get a fair few people wanting to have a play with your data :).

Tony..

i'll have a play, need to learn the processing side of things.

MArk

Mark, I have had lots of 'plays' and will continue to do so but with nothing to directly compare with I dont have any confidence I am getting anywhere near the max potential.

I will work out how to put them somewhere accessible and then re-post.

Thanks all,

Steve.

Tip:

I strongly recommend that anyone viewing this thread should look at basically the same thread I posted on the Beginners Help & Advice Forum titled

"Image Post Processing Expectations"

What Dave has done with my unguided beginners (15 minute total exposure) shots is amazing and inspiring.

Thanks to everyone for their interest and help.

Cheers,

Steve.

Anna,

I have seen your work in the past. I would be honoured if you would have a go.

I created a Flickr account for the original data

The Flickr account is SteveKinder

Flickr email kinder.steve@rocketmail.com

They are stacks of about 10 – 15 lights, darks sorted in the camera. Total exposure time 10 – 18 minutes. Unguided.

Dave got a lovely red Rosette Nebula via adjusting the colour but when I process it I get predominantly green. Mark sho also had a go got a lot of green. Does this not mean it is green or at least it was that night? The Horsehead is red….

Thanks again,

Steve.

Archived