William Optics Binoviewer and my 10" DOB?

Strange, I can get them to focus on near by trees but not beyond? And yes I have used the small adapter that comes with them. Excellent on the 127 MAK but appears to be unusable on my 10" DOB.

Regards

ken

I had the same problem when I had my 12" dob. I found a 2" extension tube fitted to the nose piece of the binoviewer did the trick.

Hope this helps.

John

it's because with the extra light path thru the binoviewers you dont have enought in travel. adding barlows helps but the distance between the barlow and the e/ps actually inreases the effect of the barlow so you end up with very high mags. there's also an issue that you are effecively stopping down your aperture so turning your 10" into about a 6". I had exactly the same issues and ended up just using the mak for binoviewing whi.ch is absolutely brilliant. If you look on CN there's loads of threads on this (and if you want to understand the stopping down point which I dont:o)

can't see how adding an extension tube would help as that will further increase the length of the light path:icon_scratch:

Thanks again, Kniclander what magnification do you get with the Binoviewer using the small barlow in the MAK? I know it uses 20mm lens so that should give me 150x that MAK being 1500mm. I was looking at Saturn and it seems a lot more than 150x

Thanks

Ken

in the mak I dont use the barlow at all - it comes to focus fine without it. if you've got the barlow stuck in the nose end of the binoviewers it's probably operating at about 1.5 times its basic power. there was a thread a while ago where a much cleverer person had actually worked out the efects of putting the barlow in different places. also, using a binoviewer actuallly increases the focal length of the scope too - making a 1500 effectively about an 1700. seriously, if you want to blind yourself witht he science, go to cloudy nights....

enjoy the binoviewing.

Archived