NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

whats a decnet ripod, value for money

hi there , got my binos 15x 70,from first light optics, very good indeed but like i was told they are too heavy to old up for any length of time,,so i need help or advice about getting a tripod, i have a metal bracket from first light optics,

now eres the qs ,

in argos they have a range of tripods , could anyone tell me which one is the best to get for the lowest price, and when they say they are for cameras or video cams,, will they infact be ok for binoculars with a bracket which i have got,,

i have an argos down the road so i want to just go there to get one ,, ere is the link for argos tripods,, could anyone tell me if they reckon one of theses could be suitable for me , thanks

my binocs are revelation astro ones 15x 70

if u could help me it would be appreciated

eres the argos link

Results for TRIPODS - Argos.co.uk

thanks russ stoke on trent

The tripods stocked by the likes of Argos are really not very satisfactory. I'd recommend this as just about the cheapest tripod which is worth having ... The Redsnapper 283 legs at around £50 are also good value but you need a head of some sort to mount on it & that's going to up the cost.

For Astro use you will probably have to mount the bins on the head over the top of the tilt handle to get to higher targets...

The interesting thing is that the targets which get uncomfortably close to the zenith are invariably at a much less uncomfortable altitude at some other time of night and/or some other season and, with the low powers that binoculars are, seeing is not an issue, so observing objects when they are at an altitude of 30 to 45 degrees gives as good a view as when they are at the zenith and is a lot less uncomfortable. For targets very close to the zenith, you may find that "hand holding" the bins whilst lying flat on your back & steadying the bins by letting the extended eyecups rest lightly on your eyes works fairly well. But do be aware that you'll need a change of clothing afterwards if your observing surface is an unfrozen muddy field.

With the vagaries of the British weather .. can you really afford to wait though - or do you just try and see everythign you can when you can... :rolleyes:

Yeah but on the odd occasion the sky is clear (or at least partially so) there's plenty to observe which is at a "tolerable" altitude. The holes in the cloud never cooperate with your "observing schedule" anyway so you tend to end up improvising. There's still plenty of NGC objects within the range of 10x50 bins that I've not seen (because I've not looked!)

Have you considered a monopod?

I use this one from Amazon.

Professional Aluminium Camera Monopod inc Footrest FITS: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Postage was real quick and it works a treat. Obviously not as steady as a tripod but very good never the less. I can just make out Saturn's rings with my Revelation 15x 70s mounted on this which I can't when hand held. I'm 5'10" and I can view almost directly overhead as well when they are mounted on this monopod. I mount the binos with the handle of the monopod pointing away from me as this prevents it getting in the way when observing. All in all a very good piece of kit I thought for under a tenner delivered.

I have a fairly decent Manfroto tripod with a quick release mounting plate. I find that I have to put my binoculars on backwards with the tilt handle pointing away from me. For objects high above my head, I lift the binoculars ON the tripod so that my chest supports the tripod and I find that the extra mass improves the steadiness - a bit like a video Steadicam!

Archived