Stars & Webcams

Hi All,

I was out last night but too late for jupiter and too early for saturn, So I tried to image the orion nebula with my spc900 and craterlet but it wouldnt even show a star let alone the nebula, I know the cam is working cause I checked it and made a bit of a recording of the grandkids the other day using craterlet, (yes I have taken off the lens and put the adapter on) But when using it last night nothing came on the screen at all, What am I doing wrong.

Kev.

Ideally, these cams ie: spc900, or the neximager, are planetary/moon cams. They are great at doing these sort of images as they are quite light dependent. Imaging deep sky objects require a long exposure in order for the light to be gathered for example, a dslr would do the job. I thiink there are mods that can be made to allow these cam to do long exposure but im sure in saying the cost is around 160 ish. This being a good deposit for dslr cam, i dont know how the results would be, maybe somebody else will add to this but at least it is a start for you kev.

on the cam or in your software?

the spc900 needs a diy/after manufacture mod involving some soldering and electronics,cabling.

couple of option iirc usb or serial.

in that case then it doesnt have one.

Thanks,

So Im not the first and possibly not the last to have problems, So I just need a few clear nights and play with settings to see what happens, When we eventually get clear skies and I get any results I'll post them up so other people can use and improve on.

Kev

Archived