Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which progran can I use to check my light frames?

What exactly do you need to check? And more important, what are you going to use the pictures for/do with the pictures?

I personally use DSS, and it simply refuses to for example stack pics with star-trails as it doesn't recognise them as stars.

If you only want to check for star trails/vibrations and so, simply open the picture, and look at any of the stars at 100% resolution. If it's a small dot, it's good. And if you've been shooting in RAW, then you don't need to worry about white balance either.

Histogram shuold be (in my opinion at least) at least at 1/4 from the left, personally i prefer up to 1/3. Gives you more data to work with in the normally very dark areas.

Your going to want soemthing that you can really push the brightness and contrast on to see any structure in the flats... and possibly give you the "values" fromthe cursor position. You would noramlly expect the corners to be darker than the center but that depends on the optical setup and sensor size...... and a few dust bunnies..

flat%20with%20extreme%20stretch.jpg

this may sound daft...

But by stacking a flat (as a light frame) with the same flat (as a flat) should result in a uniform intensity image probably with noise but no gradients...... DSS wouldnt allow you to use the same file as a light and a flat - I could have copied and renamed the file but just used another flat from the same sequence instead...

flat%20with%20flat%20test%20extreme%20stretch.jpg

Billy...

Archived