Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LPR Filter revisited

Hi

Back to the question re the recommended LPR Filter. Last night I tried a LPR+UV Block/ cut Filter with my Neximage on Saturn and also without the Filter. The Filter image of Saturn was very blue where the filterless one OK. The seeing quality was not good as Saturn was quite low and there is quite a large amount of street lighting from the City in the same direction therefore the resulting images were not good anyway. Is this adverse light pollution the reason for the blue image or have I the wrong filter.

Thanks

Robin , u only need the Ir block filter when doing the Planets , cant see any pollution upsetting imaging planets, not unless you have a street lamp smack infront of the scope, the other way is to use a camera B/W WEB CAM ONLY , using the IR PASS FILTER, with this ,can give better quality imaging , but then of course you would need a filter wheel for red green blue . to obtain a final coloured image , prob the best way to go i think ,

Cheers

Rog

The blue is from the filter Robin. It cuts out orange light so is all colours minus orange. You just don't need it on something as bright as Saturn. Orange skyglow only becomes a factor with long exposures. You can't use an LPR filter on colour images. As Roger says, you need an IR block filter.

Archived