NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CCD Camera

I am currently using a Neximage and have decided to upgrade. I'm aware that you can get mods for it to allow for long exposures for deep space objects but I think the cost is around the 160 mark. This is a fair chunk of money which I believe could be put towards a far superior ccd camera. My budget is around 250, which camera do you guys think I should get for the money. I will be using it with my Nexstar 6SE XLT. I have looked at the orion starshoot, but not sure about it. Can anybody help please.

Thank you in advance

What about a second hand DSLR. It's probably easier to use than a cooled CCD. Also, you will need to upgrade your mount for long exposure. The standard SE mount is an Alt Az mount which would produce field rotation on long exposure. You will need either a wedge, a field derotator, or a GEM mount (HEQ5 or above).

A focal reducer will also come in handy to reduce the demand for mount tracking accuracy.

i bought a meade dsi pro mono with filters and cooler for about that money if i remember correctly, work well but still getting to grips with it, also they make very good guiders if you ever trade up in ccd cameras, you can also get them in colour version which you find alot on the old flea bay site. also i belive the starlight express ccd are good but make sure you get a newer model with usb2 and not 1

Archived