Help with 1st pair of bins

Hi there fellow stargazers!

Am pretty new to this. Have only been a member of this forum for just over a week, and have been getting some great advice!!!- I have loved Astronomy for waaaayyyyy over a month though ha!! Anyway, after some awesome tips I've been getting on here I have decided to start with bins. Was going to contact first light optics....checked there website out and saw some amazing looking 10*50's (which seems to be what everyone is suggesting for a first time buyer).

It's just there is so many different types...the ones I saw were 'Helious'...no idea what the difference is if I'm honest, so really need a hand to make sure I get the best ones...looking to spend roughly £100 (trying to save for a scope)...any thoughts???

Message me back any time!!

-Jen

:):o

Jen,there is so much choice,ideally a visit to a store that sells bins is a worthwhile trip if you are spending in the region of £100 for them.Weight,feel and comfort at the eyepiece are all important considerations.

If you decide on mail order Strathspey are worth a look.

The 10x50 marine bins are well regarded

Strathspey Binoculars

Yes, the Strathspey 10x50 marine bins are very good value for money. However one of the strengths for astro work is the individual eye focusing - as opposed to the centre bar focusing (with one eye individually adjustable) more commonly used - very convenient for astro work as everything is at the same distance & once focused they tend to stay that way, but a right pain for birdwatching etc. If you think you may want the bins to be "dual purpose" then a centre focusing model may be more appropriate.

Nitrogen filled binoculars are well worth the extra, they will never get condensation on internal surfaces and neither can dust get inside.

Hi Jen

The Helios have a good name and they start from £85.00 for 10x50

Helios Aquila HR Binoculars 10x50 are 132.77 look very good

There is also the Clesteron 15x70 around the £50.00 mark

Strathspey are also very good the choice is yours please let us know your choice

Doug

Essex

Hi Jen,

I cant say that I know a great deall about Binos, but I dont think you can go wrong with talking to FLO. A few months ago they were selling Celestro 15x70 for £50. Me, along with many others bought a pair, and they have to be one of the best purchases I have made.

Currently they are selling Revelation 15x70 for £50, and I have heard that these are just as good as the Celestrons.

I would suggest buying a pair that has larger optics than the 10x50, I have used a pair, and Find that it is far easier to use some with more light gathering.

A disadvantage with these are that the're heavier, but they can be mounted on a tripod.

As i say its just a suggestion, but it is worth asking others about.

I hope that helps, regards

Keiran

I use a pair of Revelation 15x70s form FLO with a Konig monopod purchased form Amazon for less than £10. You'll need the metal 'L' adapter of course to mount the Binos to the monopod and Strathspey do one for about £10 which is the one I use. This combo works really well for me. I have a pair of 10x50s as well but the difference is quite noticeable especially if you switch back to them after using the 15x70s. You can see quite a bit more with the 15x70s.

I recently got the Revelation 15x70's as a first step into stargazing. They're excellent but they are quite heavy. The don't feel it, but using them unsupported for more than a few minutes causes all sorts of shakes and wobbles (not to mention aches). I'm no 7stone weakling either.:)

So,I'd suggest trying a few pair if you can, especially if you are going to hand hold. Or think about ounting them on a mono pod or a tripod. I bought a tripod bracket and it makes life a lot easier. A stable view shows a lot more detail as it gives you time to really study what you're looking at.

Archived