SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polar alignment tips?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's clever, but I'm wondering why you'd use a webcam on the polarscope though. The polarscope on the EQ5/6 isn't accurate enough for long exposure imaging and it's a bit of a faff if all you're doing is observing.

Tony..

I've just ordered a second Philips SPC900. The lens has to be removed for imaging but has to be in place for polar/finderscope. I don't think that constantly removing and refitting the lens is a good idea.

Look what's turned up! A diy adaptor to get your Philips SPC900NC webcam mated to the polarscope eyepiece.

I don't think this is a new idea. This is an additional adapter I use with my Lazer Polar alignment. http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/127029-laser-polar-alignment.html

I used a film canister which is a perfect fit for the EQ6 polar scope. It is not tappered so no misalignment, thin enough that it does'nt need thinning on the end.

This is my adapter.

post-19789-13387753721_thumb.jpg

Archived