Webcam use

Hi All,

If I want to use a philips spc880 webcam as an astro imager then I need to flash it as described on this and other forums, but is it simply a case of get an adapter screw it in and then put the adapter in the focuser? or do I need any eyepieces as well?

Kev.

Kev, you remove the lens element from the webcam, and replace it with the EP adapter. It then fits in the scope focuser, in place of the ep. Getting a UV/IR filter is a good choice as the lens would normally contain that filter, and you'll be removing it. It has the added bonus of sealing the sensor in, so helping keep the dust off.

Just to add Kev, I've just gone down this route with the ones from Morgan's... flashing with an XP machine was easy, but Morgan's offer that service too, I also ordered the adapter and filter from Morgan's, basically that was eveything you need. Prising off the ring that holds the lens in place was the only bit that made me thing I was going to mess things up, but a small sharp screwdriver popped it off easily... it was then just a case of unscrewing the lens and screwing the adpter on.

No eyepiece is needed, althout you may need to put a barlow in furst to increase the image size/F ratio.

Cheers

Alun

the webcam is about the same size focally as a 6mm eyepiece so once you have all the bits simple but it where the eyepieces go on the scope and your away.

also if you want to remove the grey lens cap, get a pair on sissors, get the prongs both sides of the lens cover and gently rock the sissors back and forth and the cap comes out easy.

Archived