SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astronomik H-Alpha CCD 12nm Clip-Filter thoughts?

astroimpulse

I've just been talking to the other-half about one of the last things I'd like (for the time being) for my set-up, which is a quality H-Alpha filter.

She asked "how much" and I said "£150". She didn't bat an eyelid so I asked "how much did you think they'd be?" She said "£700"!

So I've taken it as a green light :glasses1:

What's people's thoughts on these (if you've used one)? Should I go for a tighter passband or will 12nm give cracking results like some I see here?

My 450D is unmodified atm but will be when I get the time.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Sy, which one did you get?

The 7nm will require a longer exposure to get a smooth background but overall will give a better result. I have the 12nm Astronomik which gives excellent results but with a CCD camera. Your 450D will need modding of course before you can use the filter.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

I went with the 12nm as the 6nm is expensive and according to the very helpful Bernard at Modern Astronomy...Astronomik are currently sorting a mod to their 6nm line :p So they're a few months from ready. I'd have been gutted spending £250 on the 6nm only to find out a new/improved version was coming soon.

So thanks to Bernard for that one ;)

And yeh...mod to the camera needed. This is why I've also bought the Baader replacement filter :)

Gonna do it myself. What can go wrong! :glasses1:

• 1 year later...

Archived