New scope

pro's nice optics, big apparture, should be able to see most things.

cons, no photography, heavy. If I was visually observing from my back garden and I had the money and space I would certainly consider this scope, a large enough apparture to see most things

Hi Frankie

I will assume this isn't your first scope.

It would help a little if you said what kit your using at the moment for a comparison as to what views you can expect.

Not many cons to having a 12" Dob at your disposal as long as you can physically move the brute.

Remember unless you have two scopes you'll be heaving it about every time you wanna observe.

Suppose storage would be another thing worth thinking about.

I guess your up to speed on collimation?

Lets be honest though the views more than make up for it, but then i would say that with my beast.:)

Regards Steve

A 12" dob is a superb instrument for deep-sky work - nebulae, clusters, galaxies, etc. Not big enough to see color in the nebulae, but you will see plenty of structure and things like globular and open clusters will be fantastic.

The only problem with a 12" is the size and weight. As others have said often, if you can lug it, pack it in the boot, and store it easily - it is a dream instrument. That said, the scope that is easiest to use often gets the most starlight!

Enjoy it!

Dan

Well obviously it depends on how much light pollution your observing site has but you can see a staggering amount with a 12" scope.

I couldn't even begin to describe how many objects.

Also the detail you'll see in the brighter ones is jaw dropping.

If you have a dark sky site, it's a life time scope you'll never tire of using.

Unless you can lift a 16":D

Have a look in the sketching section there are some truly superb drawings done with scopes of 12".

Regards Steve

Archived