Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade LS-6 First Light

Fija

Hi Kev,

I used a Adaptors - FLO 1.25-inch T mount camera adapter which allows me to directly connect my DSLR to the 1.25" focuser (Just as you do with an eyepiece). Focusing is a pain if it's a dim object as I can't see it through the camera so I have to take a few/lot of pics to focus reasonably well before I can take the hour or two worth of pics. But well worth the effort :)

Fija

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the LS6 itself, it is the finest telescope I've ever owned. Previous Meade scopes were the 7" Maksutov (but a heart attack made it too heavy to set up) followed by a dud LX125 which was exchanged for a good one by the dealer and now the LS6 itself. I can just manage the weight. The optics are every bit as good as I fully expected them to be and the electronics are a marvel - utterly faultless. The only thing I can complain about is the small focus control which is too sensitive in my opinion as the slightest movement on the thimble-sized knob has a disproportionate effect. In other words it keeps overshooting the sweet focus point. I'm reluctant to pay for the optional electric focuser and am tempted to add something to the knob to increase its diameter and give (hopefully) increased control. I mostly use the zoom lens which luckily for me is parfocal. I did consider at one time going up to the LS8 but since I found it would not give me bigger images I fully intend to stick with the LS6 from now on.

Hi Glyn,

I must admit I'm having fun with the focusing too but found it massive compared to the one on my ETX-90 :) visually I find the focus ok but I really struggle when imaging. I should get a Bhatinov for that lol.

Glyn (another one) B)

Hi Glyn,

I must admit I'm having fun with the focusing too but found it massive compared to the one on my ETX-90 :) visually I find the focus ok but I really struggle when imaging. I should get a Bhatinov for that lol.

Glyn (another one) B)

Hi Glyn!

I wonder if it might be safe (or not) to drill sideways through the focusing knob and put a 2" or thereabouts bar in it. This ought to make the control more sensitive - but would it nadger up the 'scope?

Archived