Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light - Sort Of

rabbithutch

Tonight was my first event with the Central Texas Astronomical Society. It was a monthly open house at the society's observatory. The event was well attended - about 20-25 folks there, about 8 or 10 of them youngsters under the age of 10. It was led by a retired airline pilot who has been into the art and science of observing for many years.

The obs is located in a dark sky spot in the heart of Texas. It is a true obs with automated slotted roof synchronized with the telescope and driven by computers. It has a 24" Ritchey-Chretien telescope. After serving an apprenticeship, I'm told that I will be allowed to use the scope on me own provided the time doesn't conflict with scheduled events. Use is first-come-first-served for members. Imagine - going from eyeballing to binos to a 24" RC in three quick steps beginning only a few months ago. I wish I could claim native intelligence, wit, good lucks, and personal magnetism brought me to this happy state, but it is more like a blind squirrel finding an acorn. The down side of all this is that the drive each way is an hour and a half.

Because of the number of people, time viewing was very limited as the viewing was open only slightly more than an hour. In that time we saw Jupiter and 3 of its moons. This was the first time I've ever seen the bands in anything other than pics. The viewing was not particularly good (as stated by the regulars) and Jupiter was quite low. I didn't see the red eye but seeing the bands was a thrill.

The second target was the Earth's moon. This was quite good, too. The terrain elevations were quite impressive. I think I will spend a great deal more time viewing the lunar surface when I get a scope of my own.

The third and last target for the evening's program was a double star. I never learned the names of the stars. It was amazing to look at the target with the naked eye then to look at it through the eyepiece. It makes one aware how blind we are to all the wonders that remain unseen for us, even with the Hubble and all the other space scopes.

Another club member set up his 6" refractor and shared views of Orion. This was the first time I've ever seen a nebulae where I could control focus and view at my leisure. What a treat.

After viewing in what was for us very cold weather (mid 40's F), we returned to the warmth of the observatory and engaged in a 'quiz the expert session.' Our host fielded all questions with great patience and contagious enthusiasm. He introduced us, via the Internet, to the NASA project that is photo-mapping the surface of the moon. (The obs has a T1 connection and two wifi routers and is located very near the backside of beyond.) He also showed us maps on the PC of where various Apollo landing took place. These came from NASA project. In some of the pics, trails left by the astronauts feet were visible as distortions of light reflected from the surface. We also saw some amazing photographs of rills on the surface of Mars, courtesy NASA.

All of the folks there were quite friendly and cordial. Even the youngsters were quite engaging and enthusiastic. There were 3 or 4 who, like me, are just beginning the journey.

Needless to say, I was gobsmacked. I'm certain that I shall spend one Saturday night a month at the observatory.

Thanks for listening.

It sounds like you had a great time at the observatory, so much depends on an engaging host!!. Viewing time sounds very special when you get your hands on that 24"er.

Did you ever buy the scope you were going to have a look at?

We had a mini ice age here in Texas that prevented me traveling to inspect, haggle and probably purchase the scope. Couldn't sync schedules this weekend. Maybe next week.

Cheers!

Archived