Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pillar Mount?

Piers127

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a 200 or 250 Skyliner in the medium future. I've seen the Sky-Watcher pillar mount advertised on FLO, what are the advantages/disadvantages of this? Will it be more stable than a tripod? Will I end up spending more money buying everything separately, or will it long-term end up saving me money because I won't need to upgrade for a long time?

Any help gratefully received.

Piers

I didn't go all the way to a pillar but bought myself a pillar extension for my tripod.

Main advantage for me, I don't have to extent the legs of the tripod to get a decent height. Makes the whole setup more compact.

But that's me having to carry out the mount every time I want to observe.

I think if you dont need the compactness of a tripod and can leave the pillar than this might be a good option as you don't have tripod legs to stumble over.

It is on the other hand easier to get a tripod level if you are out and about with your scope.

Archived