Transporting Scopes

Hello,

How do you transport your scopes as I havent yet heard of anyone using any purpose made boxes or flight cases for scopes and cant find any on the web.

Getting a flight case big enough isnt realy the problem but getting foam cut to suit it would be.

Kev.

Not transported mine anywhere yet as only arrived 2 days ago, but I was planing on sticking the dob base in the boot and transporting the scope on the back seat of the car, seat belted up wedged in with pillows.

Not the most profesional of transport methods but hay ho.

I transport my scopes to/from dark sites regularly and twice a year to Kelling and back. The ota's get bungee'd and padded into the back seat (with seatbelt) with bases/tripods in the boot (again padded). Sometimes the sct goes in original boxes and stowed in the caravan. Hasn't done them any harm in 3 years :)

Hi Kev

why don't you contact Skywatcher to see if they would do you some more foam? I used to own a Celestron 6se, I used the foam inserts and found a place on the web that made cases etc to order, I just gave them the size of the foam and £80 later I had a nice handy case for the scope, I even got it in orange to match the colour of the ota :) and I took it to france which was really handy, I have been thinking of getting something for my 925 but would imagine, even relatively pretty cheap, it will still cost a fair amount

The ota's get bungee'd and padded into the back seat (with seatbelt) with bases/tripods in the boot (again padded).

Yes, it works.

A fork mounted SCT can be transported stood on the front seat of a car, secured by seat belt and a couple of bungee cords round the seat back. Park a hat on top of it & use the "multiple occupancy" lane :)

Yes, it works.

A fork mounted SCT can be transported stood on the front seat of a car, secured by seat belt and a couple of bungee cords round the seat back. Park a hat on top of it & use the "multiple occupancy" lane :)

very good !

Archived