Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie - best scope for my buck?

The 150 PL gives you a slightly longer focal length (1200mm) and slower f-ratio (f8) for sharper and more contrasty imaging of planets. But the regular 150P is superior for dso imaging and still very capable with planets.

Do bear in mind that exposures will be limited due to tracking limitations. Some people have had very reasonable results with 30 secs - 1 min stacked and processed. :)

(the 150p eq3-2 was my first scope btw - and I currently have a 130P for a "play thing" lol)

Dumb question: what's this stacking I'm reading about? Something to do with object motion???

C

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
150P, good eyepiece and a good barlow

that 127 will be blown out the water :)

Sounds good! Can you recommend the good eyepiece and barlow? Total novice and have no clue as to what accessories I should have.

D'oh.

Regards,

C

Oh dear - TV ep's start with new prices more than the scope lol. But nicnacs spot on - they are regarded as the Rolls Royces of ep's by most.

But you can get quite respectable ep's for around £50 (or get them second hand for about £25-£30). The next bracket up in "significant" quality is around £100 (or £60-£70 s/h).

Generally with reflector scopes - the greater the apertue the better - you won't go wrong with a 150P :)

I'm the same. 127...Dob...127...Dob...;):):);)

HI,

Well, most folks are advising on the 150p AND the reviews are very good as well as a very reasonable price for a lot of scope. Trying to find out how much it weighs! Wondering how 'mobile' it is. Anyway, am leaning more towards the 150p as time goes by. Some more research then a decision!

Kind regards,

Cineriz

If astro photography is really your main goal I would start with a good book:

Books - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards

Astro photography is a very demanding hobby and requires a lot of investment (in both time and money) to produce quality images. Reading a good book 1st will let you know which setups will be easier to get you started.

If astro photography is really your main goal I would start with a good book:

Books - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards

Astro photography is a very demanding hobby and requires a lot of investment (in both time and money) to produce quality images. Reading a good book 1st will let you know which setups will be easier to get you started.

Hi,

Yes, absolutely, thank you for the recommendation. It's something I'd like to do once I get familiar with the scope and the skies.

Kind regards,

Cineriz

I meant: Read it before you buy the scope. :)

This forum is full of threads with people that bought a scope and soon found it didn't had enough in-focus to get a DSLR to focus on it. Or others who bought a mount unsuited for astro photography and can't achieve satisfactory polar alignment and tracking.

If you buy a scope without being sure it will do what you need, you may find yourself selling, with some loss, to fund what you needed in the 1st place.

Archived