NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Review of first telescope: Skywatcher Skymax 127 supertrack

Tom Redfern

Good evening all.

I thought I would provide a quick report of my first couple of nights observing with my new telescope: A skywatcher Skymax 127 supertrack which I bought for £290.

First a wee bit of background info on what I was looking for in a scope. The number 1 consideration for me was weight! I wanted a scope, mount, tripod combo which is not heavy, as I have to carry down some stairs to set it up. 2, I wanted a scope that would be quick to set up and really easy to use. 3, I wanted a scope that could provide great views of the planets, the moon and some of the easier to view DSOs.

The first thing to say is that this scope has provided all 3 of these points brilliantly so far. I can carry the whole set up with one hand if i need to, which is great. To set the scope up all I have had to do is plonk it anywhere pointing any direction and then use the key pad to slew around. You can set the scope to auto track. I haven't tried this yet.

My choice of getting a scope that is easy to set up was a good one, as my viewing this evening has proven. As I walked home from work I was feeling miserable as the skys were completly clouded over. But then, as I put my key in my door I noticed a break in the clouds with Jupiter sticking though!!

I ran up the stairs to my flat, grabbed the entire set up, ran back down stairs and pointed it to Jupiter. HEY PRESTO. I was greated with an absolutely brilliant view of Jupiter and four moons. I could see banding across the planets' surface and some colour. Needless to say I was dead chuffed!! I only had about 2 mins to view as it soon clouded over again. I managed to point the scope at the moon which was able to burn through the clouds. The view was brilliant. Even my very hard to please girlfriend said WOW as she looked through the 25mm eyepiece!

I next slewed to M42 - the orion nebula - and after a bit of hunting with the 6 X 30 supplied spotting scope I could see the brilliant nebula in the 25mm. Again I was absolutely thrilled!!

After about 3 mins looking at m42 some serious looking clouds had arrived and I was worried about rain, so i picked up the set up and carried it back up stairs!!

If there is anyone looking for a first scope out there I hope this review helps. The scope is light, small to store, and yet is really well made. The views it provided me tonight were fantastic. I haven't looked through any other scope to compare, but I am really pleased with the views I got tonight. The fact that I can set the scope up in about a minute is brilliant, as in cases like tonight where I only got 2 mins for viewing. I thought about a goto, but im really glad i didnt. Hunting down M42 was really great fun and made it feel a bit more satisfying when I got it.

Im now eyeing up some eyepieces to go with the scope as well as a heritage 130p which I might use for hiking and camping etc. If anyone has any views of this scope I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Clear Skies Everyone!!

Double thumbs up for the skymax 127

Archived