Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ-5 goto Issues

OK I'm totally baffled....

I'm playing with my new mount with a SynScan goto system in the lounge to get an understanding of its functions. I've entered the date in the correct (American) format of mm/dd/yyyy. I then set the time (seems to always default to 20:00 hrs) - then I've selected Polaris as the single alignment. The mount then goes off and points "what would be the scope) more or less in that direction.

However - I then selected Deneb and the mount appeared to point in totally the wrong direction....

I also changed the parking position... but each time I power down I have to go through the complete set up routine every time - it doesn't appear to save the info. Is this normal or am I missing something ? The firmware is ver 3.27

Oh and forgot to add - is there a way to program it so it doesn't foul the connections - several times I've had to hit the esc key to abort a slew as the din plug on the DEC motor pressed against the two DIN plugs on the housing

The only information the handset saves is the coordinates. The time always defaults to 20.00 and the date saved is the date the handset was last used. Polaris is not a good star to align on because it is very close to the NCP so any misalignment of the telescope will thow the Synscan alignment out.

Peter

First off have ylu polar aligned the mount ? The mount needs to be pointing north and and set at around 51' on its latitude scale.

Second you cant really align using Polaris. Theres a long techy explanation as to why not but the short answer is for a single star align you need something other than polaris.

Before aligning starts is the mount in its home position, ie scope pointing north and over its weights.

Finally theres often an issue with the EQ5 goto which is sometimes people set them up with the wrong cog on the motor. If you do a search on here you will find a few posts about this. Its no sweat its just one of the motors has two cogs on it and sometimes people use the wrong one. I cant recall which one is right.

Hope thats of some help.

First off have ylu polar aligned the mount ? The mount needs to be pointing north and and set at around 51' on its latitude scale.

Basically I placed the mount in the middle of the room with the N leg on the tripod pointing north. The mount is angled up at 51 degrees

Second you cant really align using Polaris. Theres a long techy explanation as to why not but the short answer is for a single star align you need something other than polaris.

The reason I chose this is because it's fairly easy to see if the drives point it more or less in the right direction (ie still north)

Before aligning starts is the mount in its home position, ie scope pointing north and over its weights.

Ah... this might be the problem, I don't think I started with the scope in that position, ie everything at 90 degrees with the tube above the weights and pointing along the same axis of the pole finder.

Finally theres often an issue with the EQ5 goto which is sometimes people set them up with the wrong cog on the motor. If you do a search on here you will find a few posts about this. Its no sweat its just one of the motors has two cogs on it and sometimes people use the wrong one. I cant recall which one is right.

Mine came ready assembled.

Hope thats of some help.

Yes... I'll have a further play tomorrow night... I know it's not setting the scope up correctly for polar alignment... just getting familiar with the way the Goto works

Doh! - definitely a case of RTFM !

1) - I didn't set the scope in the "park" position with the weight bar in-line with the tripod leg, and the tube in-line with the weight bar before turning on the synscan unit

2) - I had the DEC motor on the wrong side of the mount. It needs to be on the same side as the connectors (ie standing in front of the mount with the weight bar pointing down and towards you, the drive is on the left)

I pointed the mount in a northerly direction and selected Jupiter and M42 from the list of objects and the Indicator I stuck to the mount correctly points in the general direction of where the items would be visible (based on last nights observing session)

Archived