First time telescope. Leaves Lenses out??

Hello everyone,

I've used my first ever scope, for my first ever time today. Great times!!

But when I came back in the house, I noticed some moisture on the lenses... so I was wondering, should I take my lens covers off, and the cover to the telescope (8" dob.) so they can all dry out, or do people leave them on?>??

thanks in advance for any responses!

if you're interested, you can read about my first time here http://stargazerslounge.com/blogs/jordanclarke/487-first-ever-telescope-viewing-first-ever-blog.html or in the blog section (SHAMELESS PLUGGING!!!) :(

Point the tube downwards so moisture can drip out of the tube rather than onto the mirrors. Leave the covers and caps off to let air ciculate and it should dry out in an hour or two. If I have moist lenses I just shake off excess and stand till dry (without the caps). Seems to work for me :(

I put my eyepieces, diagonal etc in the oven at 50C with the door open and put the scope in front of the oven. Gently removes the moisture in 5 mins or so.

Sounds a bit scary but it's better than having all that glass around when the kids get up early.

I'd guess the interior of the over doesn't get to more than about 25C or so.

Archived