Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn this morning!

Bigdaddyjeff

So so pleased to say i managed to get my scope out this morning around 5.30 for some clear sky viewing .....wanting to find Saturn for my 1st good viewing......wow wow wow...straight in with the 25mm was an amazing sight 1st time ......up to the 10mm ....even wowerer .... then i tried my new 4mm and i know it's pushing it to if not over the limit of my scope but still looked awesome and a lot bettter than i was expecting. A great start to the day!!!:(

i've just done a night shift and when i got home i dragged my 'scope out for a quick oggle of saturn, managed to see her in all her majesty, rings and 3 possibly 4 moons, cant quite be sure on the 4th, i was using a 4mm ep and its quite possibly the worlds wobbliest set up. well to be fair it was a crimbo present from argos so what do you expect.

all i need to do now is get my finger out and get a proper 'scope and mount bought, oh glad i wasnt the only mad man out at silly o'clock this morning lol

I am so envious, I packed my scope ready to travel out at midnight to bag Saturn - however, I bottled it in the end... then I set the alarm for half four and did it again. I would have seen it if I had a garden for sure!

So today I am going out to look for a site where I can rock up, set up and enjoy... Of course that all depends on the skies staying as fantastic as they are so far this morning.

Well done to you peeps I am determined to join the Saturn appreciation society! :(

I had a good look last night, but was very low in the sky so not the best image. I did take a little video too but couldnt make out the moons through camera. Might try in the morning instead.

Lol Mark....no you can rest assured you weren't the only mad man out at that time and probably won't be tomorrow either if it's clear!

Pat i'm a lucky lad with a nice fairly dark garden and weather and clear skies permitting will be back out tomorow for more. Hope you join the Saturn appreciation society real soon :(

I find early morning best for veiwing from my location JKB...hope you get good clear views for your video footage

Jeff,

Can you believe I have just been on top of the Waseley Hills which I live near... I looked at a website earlier which showed some cloud coming our way (West Midlands) so I thought I would get out quick and 'have a go' (not to see Saturn of course too early)

Anyway, there was me walking up the hill through the woods with my headlamp on bright white (light a little nervous I have to say...) On reaching my chosen spot I switched to 'red light' and started to set up my scope (thinking I should not really be doing this alone up here) I managed to set up record time a solid assembly on an uneven grassy surface, which is my first ever 'in the field experience! I start with the moon, trying my 15mm what a lovely site... then I try it again with my 6mm, not as sharp me thinks and as someone posted on here once quite uncomfortable obtaining a view. Then ages spent on Jupiter and four moons...

Next I decide to slot in my new 32mm and check out Pleiades and some general star drifting... Plieiades as you know is a wonderful site loads of stars... Ok M42 next so I decide to slip the old 15mm back in... very clear a 'grey smudge' in the sky... I try one or two other stars and decide that I really need to learn a few more targets if I'm gonna spend hours outside viewing... Oh I forgot to say I saw a satellite whizz across Pleiades whilst viewing... I saw one last night I love em :(

Anyway, I have decided to pack up and get myself home, so no Saturn watch tonight for me I'm afraid... unless of course I wake really early?????

Sounds like a very productive journey out Pat?? Great to hear indeed. I've stuck to the garden for now but i am planning on getting onto some high clear areas soon,Barr Beacon might be a good sight and i'm thinking maybe somewhere by Dudley may be a good vantage point? I'm from the West Midlands too and was out earlier until the cloud drifted in :)

Managed to take a peek at the moon and similiar to you ended on my 4mm and found it not as sharp but then also understand my scope has limitations and maybe the 4mm is too close to that. Great view through my 10 mm though and also nice views of Jupiter and it's moons.

I've only just started (scope was a complete surprise christmas present) and the bug has really bit now. I plan on building my collection slowly then maybe considering a 2nd scope as either an upgrade to mine or a scope to look at DSO's but there is so much choice and so many different options of what to do i'm not sure where to start lol. What i do know is that the help and advice people offer on here is genuine and of great value so i'll be asking and seeking guidance from SGL :(

Make sure you don't set your alarm by mistake...............

Archived