Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help with focuser measurements!

Hi,

Im trying to buy a new focuser to replace the rack and pinion standard on my Stellarvue at1010. Ive been at it for days now and I havent got anywhere! I cant find much details about any specific after market focuser so I was hoping some one could help!

Ive taken some measurements from my scope;

The tube itselft is 90mm in diameter on the outisde and 87mm on the inside so thickness 3mm.

The focuser flange is 92mm in diameter and the inside bit that sits inside the scope is 86mm.

The focuser I'd like is the skywatcher DS CF, mainly as its nice and affordable and means I could get one now. Alternatively the William Optics focuser is about £200 and although thats more if it fits I dont mind!

If money wasnt a problem I'd like the Moonlight focuser!! it might still be an option but it means id have to wait a while for it and that will drive me crazy!

My question is: does anyone have any of these focusers on your refractor or any other for that matter, and do you know the measurements?

Id be greatful for any help :)

thanks all :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes nicnac the Moonlight focuser is indeed delicious! hey and in the script it mentions my scope! no way, thats almost too specific.. good find, thank you. Ive read about the Moonlights a lot but ive not seen it mention the AT1010 before..

Well, it costs a bomb but at least I know theres a solid option out there. If I can rule out the others then Ill have to get this one but for now ill sit and hope the WO or skywatcher focusers come in with the right measurements...

anyone else? :)

Cheers ninac, that one does look like it will fit! Its cheap too...maybe too cheap?? what are they like, heard anything good/bad about them?

i found this too:

Telescope-Service: Focusers

what about this one? it looks like it will fit. Its got a bit easier now I have measurements, I was worrie about taking my scope apart but it turned out to be nothing.

I think maybe the time to choose is now nicnac, thanks for the help. Andyh rates the TS one so I wont rule anything out yet, ill have a think about it.

wonder if I can stretch to the Moonlight? probably not but its amazing what you can do when you want that new bit of kit!

All these focusers come from the same factory and are often rebadged with the sellers name.

So as Nick says, add up the shipping costs, convert the currency etc and go for it. You won't be dissapointed, they're really smooth and can hold a heafty weight.

Andy.

You may already know, but don't forget that you may need to pay charges, if the evil customs folk, stop your parcel coming from outside of the UK or Europe. They seem to be stopping more these days. I used to be able to count on 7 out of 10 things getting through untouched. So don't forget to factor in these extra costs.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Andy.

Sorry, it's me again.

T-S don't show the single speed focuser on their site, but if that's what you're after, try sending them an email and ask about it's price and avaiability. When I got mine, it wasn't listed on their site either. It'll be much cheaper than the 2 speed version link I posted.

Cheers,

Andy.

You may already know, but don't forget that you may need to pay charges, if the evil customs folk, stop your parcel coming from outside of the UK or Europe. They seem to be stopping more these days. I used to be able to count on 7 out of 10 things getting through untouched. So don't forget to factor in these extra costs.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Andy.

know where you are on that!

i got stung getting a few bits and bobs from Europe, non of my American or Canadian purchases have been stopped tho :)

Andy

Im upset to hear of this! I was edging towards the T-S one aswell :)

tbh I'd prefer the dual speed so I 'would' have gone with that anyway. Say it does get stopped what then?

e2a: I couldnt buy anyway its all in german!

scrap that ive figured it out, what a tit!

if you use firefox, try this add on

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/foxlingo-translator-dictionary/

google translate is pretty good, you should have it if you run the google search engine, just right click your mouse and it should have a tab near the bottom "translate web page", scroll to "German" (in this case) and then move over to German to English...... hey presto! there you be :)

They'll be no custom stops or charges if you b uy from europe. delivery is usually pretty quick.

From N. America, if it's sent by USPS it may get stopped and customs will add 20% VAT to the FULL amount inc shipping. Parcelforce then add their own handling fee of £8(think it's 8??) Can take a long time if it gets held up in customs.

Andy.

ps: T-S are a well regarded company by folk on here. There's a good chance they'll have both versions(single and double speed) available.

I've had dealings once with Agena and they were good too.

They'll be no custom stops or charges if you b uy from europe. delivery is usually pretty quick.

From N. America, if it's sent by USPS it may get stopped and customs will add 20% VAT to the FULL amount inc shipping. Parcelforce then add their own handling fee of £8(think it's 8??) Can take a long time if it gets held up in customs.

Andy.

now this is odd, see above a few posts :)

After some reading the focuser travel is 74mm on the TS, 50mm on the TS monorail, GSO 79mm.

Mine is about 100mm and the only one that comes close to that is the Moonlight which is 115mm

Does this mean I have no option but to go for the Moonlight?

sorry to keep going on

now this is odd, see above a few posts :)

Ooops, missed that, Nick.

:)

The only reason a package should be stopped when it's from the EU, is if the origin countries VAT has been removed. Usually you need to ask for it to be removed. The only folk that will ask for that to happen, is if they are outside the EU or UK and I think the seller will do it automatically.

I've never had an EU parcel stopped once.

Andy.

Archived